Chapter 15: Welcome back

I opened the door to my flat, expecting the usual mess my guide always makes when I'm out for work. It was pretty late at night, Endeavor surprisingly offered me to borrow his car but I refused.

I wanted to walk in the night all alone with my thoughts. A lot in my life was happening, and rarely I got such opportunities to stop and think peacefully.

But once inside my apartment, everything was strangely tidy and clean.
It took me a second, but I figured out what happened.

"Y/N? It's you? Welcome back, did you have dinner already?"

My mother's distinguished silhouette was carrying out some sort of package wrapped up like a present. Just like me and my father, she too had the Moth quirk, her most recognizable feature were her long white wavy hair.

"Seriously though, the house was such a disaster. This work barely leaves you any time, I hope at least it pays good!"

"Uhm... Hi mom? Where's dad?"
"He's asleep, he helped me clean up and then went straight to bed. Actually I'm really tired from the trip too... But I wanted to see you and give you this. See, we're both really sorry we departed so suddenly, so we bought you a present!"

I must've made a pretty disdained face, because my mother kept on working me with her sweet words.

"I know it won't make up for it... But still, it's a little reminder that you're always on our minds, no matter how far away. "

I took the present, unwrapping it.

I couldn't contain my happiness, even if I wanted to. My eyes dazzled like stars.

Inside, there was a soft plushie of Mareep, the sheep Pokemon.

"Mom, I'm not twelve anymore."
"Hehe, I know. But no matter your age. You love plushies."

Damn right she was, my room was full of them.
They were either characters from various franchises or cute animals. And I loved Mareep on top of that!

"Well, thank you. And by the way, yes, I'm well paid."

My mother's lips curved slightly, a smile you could miss in a blink.

"Good to hear. I'm going to sleep too, don't stay up too late."

She then left the living room.

I waited some seconds before starting to search for my guide restless.

"So that's your moth-er."

I got surprised from behind by them.

"I bet that's an overused joke uh?"
"... Will them being at home be a major problem? I can't talk to you as freely as before." I whispered.

"I'm more bothered about the fact that I can't play Hollow Knight anymore."
"Can you please, just this once, be serious?"

The shadow jumped on the table.

"As serious as you? Hello everyone, I'm Y/N, I want to be a pro hero, I love plushies and Mareep is my favorite Pokemon!"

"First, lower your voice, second, I don't talk like that, third, Mareep is not my favorite Pokemon."

And get down the table. We eat there.

I added in an even more annoyed voice.

"Bah. Anyways, we need another place where to meet up daily. You know this city, think of somewhere.

"What about an abandoned site?"

The shadow tilted their head, holding a laugh.

"Yeah the perfect place to be abducted and murdered by a villain. A resourceful mind you got."

"At least I'm proposing something- wait. Recently Endeavor dismantled a villain hideout. They were barely a small gang, but now that place is empty and the other villains and criminals will surely be intimidated to go there if the Number Two Hero just made quick work of that place."

"Okay... It's not the safest of the options, but could work. You know exactly where it is?"

"Heh. Being Endeavor's secretary has its perks!"

"You get to stare at his biceps all day?"

I did not answer back. That was undeniable.

-

A dim light brightened up the bedroom of Y/N's parents. His father grumbled as he just wanted his wife to sleep too.

"Y/N is talking but... I can't make out the words."
"He's probably on the phone. No need to make a fuss about it, just- just make me sleep... ugh."

Maria scoffed and then turned off the bajour.
She slip under the covers, face to face with her dark-haired husband.

"I heard he's being paid well... that... made me happy, is it bad?"
"A bit."
"Always so blunt... Takeo. I think he got that from you."
"He's got your charms and slyness too."
"...Dummy. Seems like you're a sly fox too."

Takeo smiled as he kissed the woman on her chest. Her slender arms embraced him, and in a matter of a few minutes, they fell asleep in that lovely position.