Intermission~2

The prince never came back.

The inhabitants of the land, addicted to his services as if he was an all purpose tool, demanded all kinds of requests big and small.
He succeeded in everything flawlessly.
But the more he accomplished, the more people took advantage and made use of his obedient, unnatural temper.

Strained, worn out, the prince died out of the blue.

An angry crowd gathered under the lonely hill.
The princess had awaited for her prince, her only love and company, to return day after day.
In the wind, under the scorching sun, through the blizzard.

But she knew better than anyone:

There was no prince to begin with.

The princess, a powerful sorceress, simply made up one.
She was no different from the beasts her hero tore apart, being born from a storm, deceitful in her appearance.
When she first opened her eyes, all she saw was a cold, uncaring world.

She wanted to give her own love to the people, but she only found the grim and corrupted. She was in search of a pure heart worthy of her love, but as time passed, the princess simply came to the conclusion that even the most pristine of souls is tainted by ego. Humans were fundamentally imperfect.

Nonetheless, she was full of love. She had this sensation, like her chest could rip open and make her desire to share that love erupt like a volcano.

So, she cast a spell.
A spell so powerful it forced her to stay on the highest hill of that forgotten land, as her magic took power from the sky, the closer she was to it, the more complex were the spells she could elaborate.

The princess then, breathed life into her lover. An ideal prince with a pure heart who had no ego, thus no sense of self.
He may as well have been an illusion, but for her he was human and real on all fronts, and she treated him as such. So she isolated herself on that lonely hill, as his existence depended on it.

But his lack of ego is what made him unable of return to her.
Made him incapable to say "no".
And eventually, overdriven, the spell broke.

As the morning lark sang, the prince disappeared in an handful of stardust, as if he never existed to begin with.

The humans took everything from her, but she too, like her prince, was tired out and on the verge of withering away.
Not having even the strength to rise her face to watch the angry mob that cursed her name.

Her last thoughts were lovely still.
She pictured a scenario in which she hadn't been so selfish. A possibility were she shared her love with the whole world, even if it refused and hated her. She thought that maybe her unconditional love could've changed the broken and the scared, gave birth to people that, albeit flawed, could've made the world a little more bearable.

"Witch, burn in hell.
Witch, go away.
Witch, curse you, curse your lineage."

Her slender, malnourished frame was burned at the stake.