Chapter 5: Entrance

Early in the morning, I was in front of my full length mirror trying to rock that secretary outfit.
I was adjusting my tie under the vest. I had black and skintight pants, who gave me a sleek appearance and made me look slightly taller. The jacket under the vest was white.

"Mph"

That was a pretty boring look. I tried to think of what Endeavor would like.
Of course nothing came to mind.

"Man. Fuck ties."

I removed it, as the fluffy scales that erupted from the vest made it look pretty goofy anyway.

My guide sat on the bed, observing the scene.

"... Will that jerk even care?"
"Dunno. Don't wanna risk it."
"To me, you look okay this way. Maybe put on a necklace or something."
"You're just telling me because you want to have the house all for yourself quicker."

I couldn't see any of their features, but I'm sure they were smiling.

I wore a pair of black gloves and I was off to go.

"Please don't summon any SCP while I'm out."
"Can't promise that."
"..."
"I'm joking."

-

The Endeavor Agency was an enormous skyscraper, almost as tall as him. At the entrance I was immediately "welcomed" by some of Endeavor's sidekicks.

"Yo! You must be the boss's new secretary- Wait. You're the moth boy from yesterday! What the heck!"

An energetic woman with glowing flaming hair greeted me, but I wasn't new to her presence. Her hero name was Burnin, she was one of the people who told me that Endeavor wasn't up for a meeting. So that's when I sneaked up into his office by flying from the side of the building.

"Hah-Yes, it's me. I did not absolutely break into your boss' office illegally! Nope!"

I tried to ironize about it.
She got all serious for a moment, in the next she was laughing.

"You're crazy! I like it! Too bad we won't work together."

"Well, we'll still see eachother often. Unless your boss doesn't disintegrate me on the first day."

We kept chit chatting for a bit, Later I also got to know some other sidekicks, Kido and Onima. They were all, like me, at the agency quite early.

Then he finally joined us at the entrance.

I expected the atmosphere to change radically, but truth be told, his sidekicks did not seem too nervous at Endeavor's arrival. That only spoke volume of the sheer quality he demanded when choosing what to work with.
I was a bit envious.
Nonetheless, I greeted his overbearing presence with my best smile.

"Hi sir."

Between all those people with a fire quirk, I really looked out of place.
He gave me a smugly look.
...Or was he? It was hard to tell. His stone hard traits were often hidden by the perpetual flame mask he kept on over his face, making it difficult to read.
He was a living torch, arduous to approach.
Maybe he liked it that way.
Curiously, I was giving it some thought.
Meanwhile, Endeavor set some of his sidekicks on patrol and others on training duties. There were really a lot of things a sidekick could do, but a specific role for a personal secretary was not taken, lucky me.

The man brought me to his office.

"Here's my number. You call only if it is absolutely necessary. I also give you permission to answer the office calls when I'm not around, you have to write down who called and what they wanted. Of course you have to keep this place as organized as possible. Oh, usually on my desk you'll also have a list of mansions to do daily. Today is no difference."

I was taking notes in my pocketbook.

"Finally, you have to always be ready to receive my calls. Doesn't matter where you are and what you are doing."

Talk about a tyrannical boss. But I expected no less. I was still oddly enthusiastic about the job.
Sure, some entity beyond my comprehension basically blackmailed me into it, but ehy, I was working for a pro hero!

"... You don't have to smile all the time."
"Oh, sorry I was just... happy."

He loomed over me from his almost two meters of height with a look of pure disdain, as if I just lied to him.
Then he turned towards the door.

"... Have a good day sir."

Of course he utterly ignored me.
Whatever.
It was my first day, I was sure I would eventually grow on him. I was a pretty likeable guy, I had lots of friends!

The first day was... messy. I did manage overall.
I had no idea where some of the papers had to be gathered, so I asked around. Luckily the sidekicks were kind enough to help me. I read the oldest reports to make sure they were still accurate and valid.
I also had to schedule some meetings... So I made a few calls and it worked out in the end.

I watched the clock. It was getting late.
The night curtain had already begun to fall, the heavily urbanized district casting big shadows underneath. Only the tallest of buildings could catch the sunset.
It was a pretty sad look.
I was not a city person.

So the light gently reached through Endeavor's office's massive windows.
I was resting in one of his luxurious armchairs. I did not hear of him all day.

That brief moment of peace was cut abrupt.

One of the windows broke.
Someone kicked it from outside, snappishly invading the office.
I saw her winged outline arrive with my compund eyes, gaining the time to jump behind the desk to shield myself from the glass shards.