Chapter 12: Sharp

He had long left behind his real name.
It embodied his weak youth.
Not that he harbored any hard feelings towars those scared of his feral attributes - if anything, all that was left was regret.
To not have taken advantage of that fear and devoured them too.

The superhuman society now knew him as Cadejo.

He cherished his quirk, "Hellhound", and the only thing he loved more than hunting and flesh was his erratic persona.

The dog quirk was not uncommon, yet the ramification of his made him look rabid and demonic. His long hair were more akin to a bushy black mane, his face resembling that of a jackal, with deep violet eyes and pointy fluffy ears. Nails and tooths as sharp as knifes, he was built like a six feet tall killing machine. 

Every arrow in his life pointed towards that road alone. To live as a cannibalistic monster. And he took delight in every step of it.

He saw himself as king, everything he wanted he shall have.
But something had slipped through his mortal grasp two times in a row.
Something so insignificant.
A small pathetic bug.

Little did he know, the more stubborn his preys were, the more he loved them. The bigger the struggle, and bigger was his yearn for their flesh.

Hate and love were one and the same.
That's what made him such a scary opponent

-

"So you almost got murdered. Again."

My guide said unruffled whilst playing Hollow Knight on my PS4.
Meanwhile i changed my bandages.
In the aftermath, Endeavor brought me to an old lady with a regenerative quirk. She healed my wound to a degree, making it not mortal, still I had to take great care of it.

"Also I was right. You love the big man. You owe me a massage, as promised."
"I didn't promise you a thing."

Plus I didn't want to touch that anthropomorphic mass of black nothingness.

"Whatever. You're doing a good job by the way, the quicker you are the sooner I can leave."

They spoke as if they weren't blatantly enjoying being a freeloader.
I still didn't know what I was supposed to do precisely, but that last exchange hit me with something I took for granted.
Maybe the shadow was stuck in this as much as me. So I tried to play around it.

"I don't know If I can keep on. Everything is super messy and terrifying, I'm constantly torn between life and death. I just wanna drop out."

My guide stopped playing, turning what was their "head" towards me.

"Be my guest. You know the rules, give up and she will just drag you back in the afterlife."

"... Who is she?"

After some seconds, the shadow sighed.

"How un-hero like, to try and manipulate your guide."

"... Saw right through me."

"Wasn't hard, no way a persistent dude like you wants to give up after just two murder attempts."

Their tone was playful, as if they couldn't help making fun of me, in a very hostile way. I just couldn't understand why they had such an adversity towards me.

"Well since you're so desperate, I'll give you an hint. You have to make sure your buddy stays on the path of good. But that goes without saying, right? after all... "

"..."

"... You were already planning on saving him.
Love gave you hope. And fear. You're afraid he's far too gone.
It's almost cute. Almost."

Man if they were spot on.
I couldn't respond. I just wanted to close that argument. Not a word more. Please.

As I tried to force the silence, the air felt heavy.

"Ehy, why stop now? It's that you don't want to go there, do you? You don't want to admit that you fell for an abusive father and husband. You fell for a married man. Heh, doesn't that make you horrible too?"

A sharp tongue's unnecessary prattle.
It was true. It was cruel, too.
Despite their appearance, they seemed to know the human heart and all the monsters it concealed.
And then used them to hurt others.
Where all that pettiness steamed from was a mystery.

"... Couldn't we just be friends?"
"Nope."

My guide resumed their Hollow Knight run as if they didn't toy with my emotions for the last ten minutes.

———————

Hi! Author here. I apologize for this chapter, it's short and kind of sucks overall as nothing really moves and It's not written too well. I basically forced myself to write because I'm having a load of bad days, thats the reason I upload more slowly and the quality decreases. I'd like to denote that english is not my first language so if I make some errors I'd be greatly appreciated to have you guys signal them. This to say that I'll modify those I repute my weakest chapters often, to make them more of a fluid read. I hope I'll feel better these days as I really like to write this story!
I'll probably eliminate this note once I'll start to re upload frequently and I'm in a  better mood!!
gbye