Chapter 4: Surtr

He was a man of principle.
Not under any circumstance, would he bend the iron rules he set to make his hero agency - and his career by result - work.
Even though his element was that of fire, his demeanor was more akin to a winter prince.
And yet.

"Please, let me be your sidekick."

How impudent can a single boy be?
Sure, crazy fanboys were nothing new.
... But that one simply hit a different mark.
It's not like he would've made an exception for him, as the man did not believe in neither fate nor dreams.
As he was the same man who married a woman exclusively to create a being who could accomplish something he could not.

But that curiosity was real. In the end that was the only thing the pesky moth had to keep his grab onto him.
Fine. He would see in the front row how far that insignificant bug would go.

As everyone knows, moths don't fly for too long.

-

"Well. That went better than expected."

I closed the door of my house, turning on the lights.

"I agree. Ah, do you have for instance something better to eat than canned food?"

I jumped back. On the couch, a shadow laid comfortably, with a bag of chips in its "hand".
That voice was way too familiar.

"It's you... my guide."
"Yeah. I'll stay at your house to monitor better your progress. Guide things."
"So you... don't have an appearance? You're simply a pitch black silhouette - also what??"

The guide picked up a chip and consumed it by simply letting it fall where it's mouth was supposed to be.

"Details about my appearance do not concern you. And yes I am staying. I mean if it was for me... She ordered me to offer my aid."
"Again, who is "she"?"
"Still too early to know. But I can give you instructions on what to do next: You have to rip open Endeavor and eat his heart."
"Wha-"
"I'm kidding. Ahah. You believe anything I say."
"Well, aren't you my guide??"
"Okay, fair. Still funny."
"Anyways... you can't stay. What am I supposed to tell my parents when they get back?"

The shadow ate another chip. Then suddenly, disappeared.

"Uh?"
"I'm over there."

The voice was now coming from my own shadow.

"As you can see, that is not a problem. Or maybe I should say, as you can't see."
"Is this... some kind of quirk?"
"Nah. I'm simply awesome. Don't question it. Really, you're better off not questioning anything that happened in the last three days."

I sat in a chair, trying to process my guide's sudden visit.

"... Can you, at least, tell me if I'm going well? "
"Yeah. It was a good move, now you will see Surtr frequently."
"Surtr?"
"Pff. What an uncultured snot."