𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝟸

"That chick sure is funny." Steve mentioned to Soda as they trudged side by side home from their exotic day at work. 'Ghost' already bolted off the who knows where.

"Did you catch her name?" Soda replied curiously.

"Nope, sorry buddy but she wouldn't allow a conversation to be muttered unless it was work related." Steve shrugged as the two jogged up the rickety stairs of the Curtis's well loved house.

"Shut the door quietly I'm watchin' Mickey!" Two hissed at the two boys without even glancing away from the TV, his hands occupied with cake and beer.

"Hey, kid, how was work?"

"Darry? You're already home?" Soda exclaimed at his older brother as he approached the kitchen.

"Pony got sick at school, had to leave work and pick em' up." It's the second week of school in Tulsa.

"Oh, is he resting?" Soda tried to peek back into the hallway door that led to their shared room.

"Yeah leave em' be. So how was work?" Darry went to the stove to begin his cooking and Soda leaned against the counter.

"Some strange chick is workin' there. She never even told us her name. Well, she refused to tell us her name."

"Did ya' check the sheet that lists when your shifts are, maybe It'll say there." Darry ponderd.

Soda pulled a crumpled piece of paper out of his jean pocket and looked it over.

"It just says 'Ghost/Girl'." Soda huffed in disbelief.

"Maybe thats her name." Steve commented from the couch. "She's awfully cute for having such a peculiar name." Steve shrugged innocently. Soda smirked at him.

"Maybe. There's just somethin' off 'bout her."

"Yeah she looks familiar." Steve tried to recall what it was.

"Who?" Dallas Winston walked in the door with a cancer stick stuck in his mouth.

"Dallas! No smoking in the house!" Darry warned him, Dal just tossed it outside and stomped it out.

"Who are we talkin' 'bout?" Dallas asked again.

"There is a new chick workin' at the DX, man does she have an attitude. She refused to tell us her name and on the work sheet shes listed as 'Ghost or Girl'!" Soda complained plopping next to Steve on the rough looking couch. It seemed as if It were to give up at any moment.

"What's she look like?"

"Uhh I dont know man, the typical greaser girl." Steve shrugged and Dal got comfortable leaning against the wall.

"Jean skirts and curly hair?"

"Not quite, she had ripped jeans, red shoes, and messy brown hair," Soda shrugged.

"An' hazel eyes!" Steve added.

"You know where she went after work?" Dallas smugly grinned intrigued.

"Dallas! You're not gonna sleep with our coworker! As annoying as she is she still is a human and probably has feelings." Soda groaned at Dallas.

"I'm not gonna do that! Where did she go?"

"Why do you want to know?" Steve looked over at Dallas from the couch.

"I might known her, where is she?!"

"She ran off, I don't know where." Soda shrugged leaning up from his place on the couch.

"Why are y'all shouting out here?" Pony appeared in the doorway of the hallway. He had dark circles appearing just below his bluish green eyes, and a grey ragged blanket wrapped around his shivering body. His usual red-brown greasy hair all messed up in little strands circling his face. It's weird for him to be cold because it's the beginning of fall and still warm out.

"Now y'all did it! I told you he's resting. They're just arguing head back to sleep Pony." Darry ushered him back to his room, blanket and all.

Dallas sped out the door on a hunt for something or someone but Soda and Steve were beyond clueless.

———

Dallas walked around town looking for 'girl', wearing red shoes, ripped jeans, and a blue DX shirt. Thats not what he found her wearing.

He sat down at a wooden picnic table that rested at the drive in diner.

"What can I get ya?" The girl wore black leggings while all the other girls wore a black skirt, they all wore a red button up with the name of the diner embroidered on it, and black roller skates.

She skated up to Winston not taking her eyes off her coffee stained notebook and little black pen.

"Hey 'ghost'." Dallas smirked eyeing her. Her face remained confused until it hit her.

"Dallas?" She asked. Not in a happy or angry tone just astounded. "You tell no one 'bout me, understood?" She shoved her black pen tip into his chest to make a point. Her New York accent making her word annunciation strange compared to Oklahoma people.

"Come on, they are bound to find out who you are and once one person does the whole town will know."

Dallas followed the girl like a puppy following his owner as she started to skate away.

"Then you better keep your trap closed." She huffed while rolling her hazel eyes.

"Workin' two jobs?"

"How'd ya know?" She glanced behind herself at the tall, chocolate brown hair, brownish orange eyes and the leather jacket resting comfortably on the boy.

"Buddies of mine, in the gang I told yer' 'bout, they work with ya. Soda and Steve."

"Huh." She stood still thinking for a second. "Oh Pepsi and Steven." She nodded her head in satisfaction.

"What? Anyways they are real stumped 'bout ya. They are determined to know who you are. They know you as 'girl and ghost' right now."

"And that's how it gonna stay."

"Come on man, quit hidin', you can't run forever."

"They sure hope so." The girl crossed her arms, fury blazing in her eyes.

"You're doin' an awfully good job of hidin' from em'."

"Look, I have work, so keep your trap closed 'bout me and let me work." She skated off into the diner gracefully.