𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝟸𝟶

It's been a few days and Brooklyn has tried to hang out with the gang but has been distant. They noticed how she continuously is on edge or zoning out.

Darry finally had enough of pretending everything was fine between everyone.

"Brooklyn." He called to her when she was sitting on their slowly breaking couch next to Dal. All the other boys were scattered around doing their own thing but they all looked up. "Brooklyn!" She finally looked up at him from her daydreams.

"Hm?" She glanced around the cluttered house and saw all the boys looking at her.

"Don't pretend everything is alright, tell us what's wrong!"

"Nothing I'm fi-"

"No, you're not! You're almost like Pony! Gah, you need to snap out of your little fantasies and tell us what's on your mind!"

Brooklyn stood up furious. "It's none of your business Darrel! I have my own life and I am only around y'all because if I weren't you'd be spying on me from around a corner or something less civil!"

She took off her blue flannel and chucked it at his face out of fury. She wore her typical black tank top on but forgot she wasn't covering her shoulders and arms anymore.

"Oh my goodness!" Two Bit slowly muttered spilling some of his beer. The rest of the gang stood shocked. Brooklyn looked around insecure then looked towards her arms. Her brown eyes widened as her deep chocolate-colored hair fell into her face in strands. Brooklyn bolted out the door letting it slam as she ran off down the sidewalk.

"What the heck happened to her Dallas?!" Steve shouted at him. "We've seen the proof but she never lets us help her or tells us!"

"I don't even know!" He flung his arms into the air. "I've seen the scars, I have, but she's never let me talk to her about how she got em'. It ain't from Dad. Well, most aren't." He exhaled in frustration. He knew it had something to do with them but he didn't know how.

"Should someone go check on her? There is Bob and that red car out there." Soda pointed out from his place in the kitchen doorway.

"If she was here she'd punish ya for portrayin' her as weak but I agree, I'll do it." Dallas got up from the couch but Steve beat him to the door, her blue flannel in hand.

"I don't think her brother and especially a Winston should go comfort her, buddy." Steve shook his head at Dallas, he knew Steve was right.

"I disagree but fine! Go talk to your girlfriend, man!" He shouted at Steve as he shuffled out the door.

"She ain't my girlfriend!" He shouted back agitated.

"Yet..." Ponyboy commented which caused all the boys to cackle.

———

Steve found Brooklyn chucking sticks at the park and approached her cautiously.

"Hey Brook," he gave her a half wave and talked softly.

She looked behind her and the disgusted expression softened, for a second.

Steve felt nauseous looking at all the scars visible on her back and shoulders.

"Take a picture, it lasts longer." She snapped not even looking back.

"I brought you this. I didn't think you'd want unnecessary stares." He hesitantly handed her the flannel.

"Oh, so you think I should hide myself? You don't want to be seen near a hideous girl? Cover up as every other boy has told me. Like MACK has told me?" She spat out his name like it was a disgusting taste in her mouth.

"Mack?" Steve asked confused, there is no kid named Mack in this town, and if there were how would she know him?

"It's nothin'." She picked up a stick and chucked it at the monkey bars. I ricocheted off of it and back at the two, they both jumped out of the way.

"Brooklyn we are trying to help."

"That's it, Steve! You're trying to get into business that isn't even yours. You all are. You guys are just as bad as the socs when you wanna be up in everyone's privacy!" She glared at him.

"Fine," he gulped, "let's talk about something else. Still working at the diner?"

She scoffed almost like an angry laugh. "Fired me! Got shot and they couldn't manage to have a worker take some time off to heal."

"Uhhh. I don't know much about you to be able to ask you questions."

"Look Steve I appreciate you're really trying to help me but I don't know how to react to that. I've been on my own for all 16 years of my life!" She huffed sitting against the post of the swings.

"What about your brother?"

"He wasn't in a state to take care of his one year younger sister when he was going to jail at the age of ten!"

Steve sat in front of her the feelings he's been trying to push down trying to erupt out. He instead decided to change the subject. "Tell me about Dal, what was he like before Tulsa?"

She picked at the weeds surrounding the wood chips. "I dunno, different but similar. He ain't the buddy you're used to. He's tougher but also more soft. He may seem real strong and independent but if it weren't-," she paused and her expression dropped. "If it weren't for specifically you guys, he'd probably be gone, by doin' something stupid or overdosing. I dunno." She picked at the buttons lining her plaid sleeves.

I looked up to the sound of leaves crunching, it's starting to become fall.

If it wasn't the great Bob himself...

"Hey, beauty. Newbie girl. Names Bob!" He stuck a hand down to Brooklyn and she looked at him a little disgusted but played along.

"Cathy Roberts!" She fake grinned. Steve was about to intertwine but knew she had it covered.

"Ahh is that your name? No one has been able to catch it but guess I'm the lucky guy." He grinned wildly.

"I guess so."

"Hey Cathy, I was wondering if a doll like you would like to go to the diner with me tomorrow night?"

"Like a date?" She asked in a flirty tone.

"If you want it to be." She smirked.

"See you there, Bob." She smiled at him as he walked away. Once he was out of eyesight her disgusted scowl formed again.

"I warned you not to talk to him, Brooklyn!" Steve disciplined.

"Yeah, and who said I was gonna go?"

"You."

"Oh fair," she picked up a flower and tore it in half. "I didn't say it would be a date did I?" She smirked and Steve knew something was up.

"I'm gonna trust you on this." He cautiously announced.

They sat there on the swing for a few hours talking or listening. Small talk mostly but it was comforting to the two.

At one point in time, Steve came and sat near Brooklyn and as he was talking she began to lean on his shoulder and doze off.

"Let's head back home so you can get some rest."

"Mhm yo-kay," she groggily agreed seeing how dark the night sky was.