𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝟸𝟾

Brooklyn's head has been throbbing since the accident but she refuses to tell anyone.

If they don't know they don't worry. That was her motto.

"Brooklyn, Brooklyn, man!" She snapped out of her daze with Dallas waving a hand in her face. The smoke from his cancer stick making her sick.

"You sure you're good enough to go to the Dingo?" Darry questioned, they were on the way to the Dingo, and everyone in the gang was coming.

"Yeah, just not feeling the greatest today."

"We can just eat back at my house if you don't feel great," Soda suggested.

"Chill guys, I'm fine."

———

"I don't feel great." Brooke bolted from the booth and outside. Her face was pale and her vision foggy.

Dallas ran after her. They've been at the Dingo for twenty minutes at most.

"Hey Brooke, man. What's up with you today?"

Brooklyn kneeled in the dewy-wet grass and held her stomach. Her brain throbbing in her ears.

Dallas realized how serious she actually was and kneeled next to her. "Hey let's head back to the Curtis house. Let me go tell the guys quick." Dallas rushed inside and came back out two minutes later.

They began their twenty-minute walk.

"Hey, Dal? Can we sit down quick?" She stumbled unbalanced.

"Yeah uh sure." He led her to a bench where they sat for a while in silence. "Are you getting sick? Do you have a fever?" Dallas held the backside of his hand to her forehead. It was warm but he didn't know how to tell. He thought to himself; Darry could help later if she doesn't feel better.

———

"We are BACKKKKKK!" Two Bit 'sang' while flinging open the rickety door.

"Shut up, would ya?!" Dallas harshly whispered at him. He glanced over at a sleeping Brooklyn, curled up under warm blankets and her sweatshirt.

"I dunno what's up with her. Dare, can you tell if she has a fever or whatnot?" Dallas asked him as everyone quietly trickled inside.

Darry went and kneeled near Brooklyn. He placed his hand on her forehead as Dallas did an hour earlier.

"Her foreheads pretty warm, she might be catching a cold, or allergies, its Autumn so leaves have fallen and there are things in the air." Darry pointed out.

"Should I take her to the hospital?"

"Nah, I get your trying to protect your sister but she knows herself better than anyone. She'd ask if she felt like she needed to."

"I doubt that," Soda muttered. "She never wants help. She assumes she can just brush away every problem." He shrugged and went into the kitchen.

He wasn't wrong, sadly. Brooklyn sure isn't one to ask for help.