𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝟷𝟺

Steve and Soda were at work, it was a quiet and a dead day, the sun visible through the red leaves on the surrounding trees.

Steve observed the resignation paper on the boss's desk, "Soda, I'm gonna throw that resignation away, she ain't deserve to have to run away."

"I agree, you think she will get mad?" Steve thought about her fiery hazel eyes glaring at the two of them, just like Dal. It makes so much sense, they are so similar.

Her hazel eyes always observing and watching, looking into his brown ones when he talks.

Her brown hair flowing elegantly in the wind as she gracefully skated down the sidewalks filled with leaves of all colors.

"Hey, you alright?" Soda waved a hand in front of Steve's face.

"Oh uhh yeah." He shook his head out of his daydreams. "S-Soda, I like Brooklyn." Steve blurted out before covering his mouth with his hand.

"I know." Soda shrugged.

"What?"

"The way you always look at her, grin around her, tease her, y'all have great chemistry."

"Who knows? Does she know?" Steve's brain filled with questions, like his brain was hyperventilating.

"Well Darry ought to know, after he started dating Kate he picks up on those things. Johnny and Pony maybe but Two and Dal wouldn't know." Soda shrugged, he secretly thought Brooke and Steve would be good together.

"Dal better not know!" Steve shouted and walked into the office and threw the resignation in the trash. He can't imagine what Dallas would do to him if he admitted liking his sister.

"Steve, buddy, you're good for her, shoot your sho-" Soda paused remembering thats how she almost died. "Take the chance and admit you like her." He corrected chuckling.

"You know, maybe I will." Steve nodded to himself happy. This girl made him feel different, not like how Evie made him feel.

———

The doctors have been telling Brooklyn to sleep. She has been trying and trying but she just can't get the images of the shiny gun pointed at her out of her head! She never told the gang but she remembers more than they think.

The shiny weapon, pointed right at her, just asking to be used.

"Hey yah Brookie!" Two Bit strutted into the room like he owns the place, his thumbs looped in his belt loop. Brooklyn didn't mind him, he's like a comforting older brother to her.

"Hey Two." She weakly smiled hoping the black rings of tiredness didn't show below her eyes.

"You alright?" He looked her up and down, she sat crisscross on top of her blankets and slouched over slightly.

"Yeah," she debated telling him, "I uhh haven't been able to fall asleep. I'm NOT weak, no wa-"

"I ain't think your weak, your stronger than all the girls and some boys all over Oklahoma. Your hair is mess Winston. Can I fix it?" Two Bit changed the subject grabbing the hairbrush from the end table.

"Thank Dal and Darry, they keep rufflin mah hair." Brooklyn grumbled tiredly.

"Here shuffle towards the edge." Two patted the exact spot. She sat a few inches from the edge of the bed and Two bit stood behind her. She faced the opposite direction of Two.

"Yawn, thanks Two." She rubbed her tired face.

"You know, I've been thinkin' bout jobs." Two slowly untangled the messy braid. "I've tried mechanic like Randle and Curtis... well an' you, I've tried learning about bein' a doctor from one of Dal's chicks, but I've learned how to do hair all by myself and I enjoy it. Would I make a good hair stylist?"

Brooklyn turned her head back at him. "No."

"What?" Two Bit looked confused and hurt.

"You'd be the best in town man! I'd definitely come." She muttered fighting back an eager yawn.

"Awe thanks Brooke." Two smiled to himself and gently combed out Brooklyns hair.

Him doing her hair soothed her in a way. She just had to sit and think, she was comforted knowing Two was there, and Two was very careful at not hurting her.

"I'm a little tired but I'll try not to move Two."

"How about I just comb it out and we can do it tomorrow so you can get to sleep. You need it sleeping beast." Two cackled and Brooklyn laughed.

"Thanks," she playfully rolled her eyes.

After Two combed her hair he began to leave but he is the one thing that comforts Brooke. Well besides Steve.

"Two?"

"Hmm?" He hummed turning off the lights as she crawled under the covers.

"C-can you umm stay here." Her face turned red. Brooklyn didn't want to appear weak and venerable.

"Sure thing!" He shrugged walking over to a chair.

"You can come up by me, I've got plenty of room and its not awkward, your technically my brother." Even though she's known him for only about a month it feels like ages, I guess Two's just got that type of personality.

Two shrugged and laid next to Brooklyn but on top of the blanket. She snuggled close to him and tried to fall asleep. Her face nuzzled near his neck, they weren't hugging, just laying close.

Two Bit reached across her and started playing with her hair.

Her eyes drooped as he moved a hand down her hair.

"Night Brookie." Two muttered as she fell into darkness for the first time in two days.

That's when Steve walked in....