𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝟹𝟶

Brooklyn has changed, everyone has noticed, except her.

She has a smile on her face and a jump in her step now, less worried about getting close to people because it turned out great with Dal's gang.

"Brooke, you comin'?"

"You guys go ahead I'll catch up!" Brooklyn answered Soda ushering them on.

"Alright?... We will be at the Dingo!" Soda shouted to her as they walked off.

She waited until they were out of sight before walking to the park. She needed alone time, not used to this much 'Social Time'.

She chose to swing because it's been a while since she has been a 'kid'.

"Hey, princess!" She internally groaned expecting it to be a flirty Soc but instead, it was Steve.

"What's up, Randle?" Brooklyn nodded in acknowledgment.

"Mind if I sit?" He pointed to the swing sitting to the right of her.

"Nah, go ahead." She shrugged continuing to stare at the grass.

"You alright, Winston?"

"I'm holding up."

"Why's ya alone, buddy?"

"Need some alone time." She looked up to be met with his muddy brown eyes, shining with empathy.

"Oh I didn't mean to intrude, I can go!" He sat up abruptly and pointed towards the sidewalk.

"No, it's alright Steve, sit back down."

"Alright. So what's up with ya lately?" He tried to strike up a conversation.

"I dunno," she paused, "I'm gonna say some deep stuff and if you don't wanna hear it you can go!" She quickly said nervously.

"I ain't gonna leave you alone with your problems, I won't run," Steve reassured.

Brooklyn gulped down the lump in her throat and began. "It's strange, having someone to help you, listen to you. I've been alone so long that hanging out with your gang is strange. Like they are there for me and jump up to help without a second thought. Y'all make me weak, to be honest."

"You've changed, your happy whether you notice it or not." Steve smiled. "It's a good look on you."

"Should we head to the Dingo?" She avoided the topic.

"Uh yeah, let's go!" They hopped off and walked shoulder to shoulder cracking jokes the whole time.

———

"Hey, Little Bee!" A shiver was sent down Brooklyn's spine.

"I thought they left!" Brooklyn muttered before the two turned around in the Dingo parking lot to be faced with them.

The gang must have noticed the two from inside, because they were behind Brooklyn's slightly trembling form, her two best friends on her side.

"That's... Mack?" Soda leaned down and whispered to her.

"Y-yeah. What do you want? Leave me alone, man!" Brooklyn huffed and shouted at the four boys in front of her.

"Thought you were dead Little Bee! Glad you're here."

"Don't call me that!" Brooklyn gritted between her teeth, venom laced in every word.

"What? Little Bee?" He flung his arms out in an attempt to make Brooklyn flinch but she stayed dead still while the gang jumped near her.

"Who's he?" Two Bit pointed his thumb at the tall figure surrounded by his three minions.

"Oh, so little Miss Winston hasn't told her little gang about her boyfriend?" Mack prodded.

"I ain't ya girl, Mack, and you know it!" Brooklyn peeked in between Soda and Steve, a little quiver in her voice.

"Oh, don't forget what we've done!" Mack smirked and walked near which caused the gang to come in closer to her. "I'm sure they have seen where I've marked my territory." He grabbed Brooklyn's hand, tracing the scars along her wrist.

"M-Mack, s-stop!" She was shaking like a leaf at this point, images flashing through her mind, trauma flowing in her boiling blood. Mack simply just punched her in the gut as she stumbled backwards.

"Leave her alone!" Darry strictly yelled but in a way where it wasn't vocal cord straining but a slap in the face to anyone who received it.

Mack continued to taunt and prod but the gang stood protectively between the boys and Brooklyn. Too bad Dallas wasn't there, just Pony, Johnny, Two, Darry, Soda, and Steve.

Brooklyn eventually had enough and bolted behind the Dingo without anyone noticing, well that's what she hoped.

She shakily sat down against the brick wall, hearing cars drive by, kids playing, and the clinking of objects among the adults hanging outside. Pure chaos when you're having an anxiety attack.

She shakily closed her eyes.

She felt a touch on her shoulder and jumped up abruptly, hiding her face behind her hands and squatting down to prevent herself from getting hurt by the person.

"Hey hey," a soothing voice was heard. "It's just Steve, you's alright, you's okay now, man!"

"S-st-Steve?" Brooklyn breathed out between gasps of air. He was crouched on one knee near her and his arms open.

She ran up and hugged him, her breathing and brain out of control.

"I'm right here, I won't leave ya. Work on your breathin' or you's gonna work yourself up more." Steve rubbed circles on the small of her back, her blue flannel staying securely around her.

"I-don't wanna talk about it!" She mustered out.

"Wasn't planning on it," Steve whispered trying to calm down her hyperventilating body.

The go-happy Brooklyn that climbed out of her shell just climbed back in and was taught to stay there.