Goattail's Identity

CCs used:

Zedaph=Goatpaw/Goattail
Tango=Tangopaw/Tangoflame
Impulse=Imppaw/Imppulse
Jevin=Blueslime
Wels=Wellnight
Xisuma=Doomstar

Any other characters mentioned are OCs.

Note: Changed some of the terms used in this chapter to better fit my headcanons of WC gender. If you'd like to see more, check out the Headcanon Talk chapter on gender terminology!

"BLAM! Water attack!"

Goatpaw yelled as he dove into the water, splashing water all over the shore and onto his friends. Imppaw yelped in surprise and then groaned, shaking the water out of his fur calmly while Tangopaw hissed dramatically as the liquid hit his coat, rolling onto the dry grass to get it out of his fur. Goatpaw giggled, his stubby tail wagging with him as his fur dripped down, completely soaked.

"Alright, you asked for it!" Imppaw said, diving into the water himself and making sure to get his whole body under before shooting up, splashing even more water onto his friends.

"Oh come on you guys!" Tangopaw complained, hating water to the core of his very being. In a move he clearly wasn't expecting, Goatpaw wrapped his paws around Tangopaw's neck and swiftly pulled him into the river, another heavy splash following suit along with a loud hiss.

As the trio splashed around like kits, they were unaware of their mentors coming in to check on them, only to find they weren't doing their assigned task at all. A very tall yellow and orange spotted cat cleared his throat, quickly gaining silence from the apprentices who were playing loudly a moment before.

"You 3 were supposed to be practicing how to fish, not how to be fish," Bramblestone, Imppaw's mentor and Tangopaw's father, said, his tone not very condescending and more lighthearted as he ushered them out of the water.

"It was G- uh- Sheeppaw's fault!" Tangopaw said, still annoyed at all the water dampening his coat. Goatpaw only came out as a toad-tom to his 2 close friends so far, so they still had to call him by his deadname around his peers.

"Was not," Goatpaw defended, turning his head dramatically away.

"You two fight like old mates in the elder's den," Imppaw said, rolling his eyes. Goatpaw stuck out his tongue as Tangopaw made a fake gagging motion.

"Alright, we'll get y'all dried off and then we can finish yer trainin' later," a southern accented yellow cat with a black cape and mask pattern said. Beetlethroat, Goatpaw's mentor. Tangopaw's mentor, a grey tabby and white cat named Jamm, simply nodded her head as she and the rest led the apprentices away from the river.

...

Goatpaw pounced on the rat in front of him, paws just barely landing on its tail as he made the finishing bite. It was later that same day, and the 3 friends reluctantly split up with their mentors to focus on their training. It made the training a little more boring, but unlike some other apprentices they knew, at least they enjoyed what they were doing.

"Good catch Sheeppaw," Beetlethroat said proudly, Goatpaw smiling at the intended compliment. His face must've fallen quickly though, because as he brought the prey over to his mentor, she seemed confused.

"Is somethin' wrong honey?" She asked. Goatpaw sighed, unsure of how to go about saying anything. He sat by his mentor's side.

"What was it like when you were an apprentice?" He asked.

"Me?" Beetlethroat chuckled. "Oh, I wish I coulda been an apprentice, or at least the apprentice experience yer gettin'. I grew up a kittypet,"

"Wait, really?!" Goatpaw said, shocked. Beetlethroat was one of the fiercest and oldest warriors in the clan, and she was raised as a kittypet?