(NOT A CHAPTER) Headcanon Talk: The Warrior Code

Hello guys! Author Rocky here! You all seemed to like my last headcanon talk, so I'm going to continue this segment for as long as I have headcanons to talk about lol!

Today, we're going over the Warrior Code. In the canon of WC, this is the code that all clans live by, and it is canonically proven that it can and will change over time to fit the new needs of the cats.

You'll notice that this AU's Warrior Code is not exactly like that of the canon code. For starters, it's mentioned by Peatlily during "Doomstar's Appointment" that clans have started to let medicine cats have mates and kits. This change is mentioned again in "A Prophecy for Mapleclan," when Tallspruce thinks of how he has his mate, Silverheart, and their kit despite being a very well trained medicine cat. This is seen to be a controversial topic, as the Warrior Code has stated for a long time that they aren't allowed to do so, and Peatlily also reveals that some clans still don't allow this change because they believe Starclan also still doesn't allow it. From a writing standpoint, I thought adding this change would not only reflect how the real world deals with changing laws, but also stir proper conflict and make some compelling character arcs and backstories while still maintaining the structure of the WC world. Now, does Starclan actually still care, or are they letting that rule go? Who knows.

Another part of the code I've changed is the code on hunting and trespassing on other Clans' territory. It's more of a minor change, with the original code not allowing it under any circumstance, but this AU's version of the code specifies that Clans can share territory under certain circumstances. This is briefly mentioned in "Doomstar's First Life," when Obsidianclan shared their territory with Mapleclan while Mapleclan was running low on prey, but it never covered the specifics of the code.

The last part of the code I've changed for the AU was the code that mentioned that a clan leader's word was code. This is the code I changed most drastically by completely removing it. Let's be honest with ourselves, that code is really stupid. It can and has caused many problems in the WC canon, none of which came out to be anything good, so I'm doing the equivalent of picking it up and chucking it out the window. Clans can have their own personal side codes, like how Hermitclan has their code of never turning down a cat in need, but it never overrides the Warrior Code in a really drastic way.

With all that explanation done, here's the full Warrior Code for the AU:

1. Defend your Clan, even with your life. You may have friendships with cats from outside the Clan, but your loyalty must remain to your Clan, as one day you may meet them in battle.

2. Do not hunt or trespass on another Clan's territory without permission from said Clan. The Clan's leader, deputy, and at least 2 medicine cats (if the clan has that many) must agree to letting the other Clan onto the territory first, then they must notify the rest of their Clan members of the shared territory.

3. Elders, kits, and injured cats must be fed before apprentices and warriors. Unless they have permission, apprentices may not eat until they have hunted to feed the elders.

4. Prey is killed only to be eaten. Give thanks to StarClan for its life.

5. A kit must be at least six moons old to become an apprentice.

6. Newly appointed warriors will keep a silent vigil for one night after receiving their
warrior name.

7. A cat cannot be made deputy without having mentored at least one apprentice.

8. The deputy will become Clan leader when the leader dies or retires.

9. After the death or retirement of the deputy, the new deputy must be chosen
before moonhigh.

10. A gathering of all local Clans is held at the full moon during a truce that lasts for the night. There shall be no fighting among Clans at this time.

11. Boundaries must be checked and marked daily. Challenge all trespassing cats.

12. No warrior may neglect a kit in pain or in danger, even if that kit is from a different Clan.

13. An honorable warrior does not need to kill other cats to win their battles, unless they are outside the warrior code or it is necessary for self-defense.

14. A warrior rejects the soft life of a kittypet.

Let me know what you think of the new code, I love hearing all of your thoughts! Thanks for reading!