𝟏𝟗

THE SNOW HAD COMPLETELY STOPPED. This meant school opened and Ilaria was in a particularly bitter mood,not only was it ungodly early to be up but her hair wasn't co-operating with her either.

With an agitated click of her tongue, she pinned it back and decided that would have to do. Kai was waiting outside for her since Tate had left for college too, Ilaria couldn't help but feel the absence of her brother. She missed him already but he had been acting awfully weird the past week, she'd began questioning if he was going through, yet another break up.

She shoved the last of her necessities  in her bag and made her way downstairs where she found money and a note from her mother on the kitchen counter.

The drive to school was quiet but comfortable, as things usually were with Kai and as they stepped out, together, for the first time since they'd started investigating - Ilaria felt much more at ease with him next to her.

She linked their hands together and dragged Kai to her locker, he didn't protest, only leaned next to her with a book in hand, a classic ofcourse and he read as he waited for her. After pulling out the books she needed for her first period, which, was physics - her favorite subject and Kai's least favorite she leaned next to her locker too.

"your staring is getting very unhealthy" Kai murmered as he looked up at her, still not closing his book.

"it's not my fault you're pretty, pretty boy" she rolled her eyes "what depressing book is it this time?"

"War And Peace" he replied instantly lighting up and Ilaria knew he was about to start a ramble that would go on until the bell for first period rang.

She never complained, infact, she enjoyed his rambles. And so they stood there, Kai rambling, Ilaria listening - she'd interject to ask questions to show him she was listening and it would make him so excited Ilaria wondered how much cups of coffee he had that morning.

Their conversation was interrupted by the bell and this time Kai linked their hands. They shared, literally, all their classes together. Ilaria already knew this but it was different, in more ways then one.

"you look disgustingly happy" Kai observed as Ilaria plopped her books down on her desk.

"it's physics!" she answered "I love physics"

Kai screwed up his nose and sat down next to her, no one sat next to her anyway so she guessed it would be fine "physics is literally the worst subject"

Ilaria shook her head "that would be math"

Kai frowned "I love math"

"and let me guess, chemistry?" Ilaria said and Kai nodded "and I'm not saying so because they're my top subjects"

"sure you aren't, nerd"

"you're a nerd too"

"yeah but you're a classic reading, study everyday, nerd, nerd"

"you don't study everyday?" Kai's eyes widened "how the hell are we tied then?"

"it's as easy as breathing to me" Ilaria smirked smugly and Kai rolled his eyes.

"are you jealous?" she laughed

"no" Kai muttered "but we'll see who gets valedictorian"

"we already know the answer to that"

"maybe I should study on weekends too"

"then when is there time for me?" Ilaria replied dramatically.

Kai pointed an accusing finger at her "I see what you're doing, you're going to distract me now with your pretty face and then you're gonna get valedictorian and shove it"