𝟐𝟐

THE WEEK HAD GONE BY IN A BLUR AND BEFORE ILARIA KNEW IT FRIDAY HAD COME TO PASS. Kai did his "research", as always - he'd found that Michael was rarely at his dorm on weekends.

Infact, he never was. Which made breaking in extremely convenient for Ilaria. She hoped she wasn't wrong but her gut had proved her right countless times before - why should she doubt it?

"Ilaria." Her mother's voice sucked her right out of the rabbit hole of thought she'd fell in.

Ilaria startled and pressed at her head, she had headaches almost everyday - they were like her own personal plague "Hmm?"

"I said I'm working extremely late shifts this weekend and since Tate isn't here anymore I was thinking you could go to Rose's just until Sunday. I don't want you alone here everynight, especially not with everything that's been happening."

Ilaria perked up, the odds were in her favor, she didn't have to call up Rose to fill her in on a lie to tell her mother should she be with Kai all weekend. No, her mother didn't expect her home this weekend which made things all the more convenient for her.

The universe seemed to be on her side so why did she feel like that was a bad thing?

Ilaria nodded "Yeah, I'll call Rose."

She took in her mother's appearance, she was beautiful as ever - despite all the working. She still looked exhausted though, like she was about to lay down and curl up on the floor any moment.

"You should go get some rest then. Tonight is going to be a long night." Ilaria smiled softly, it would be a long night for both of them - her mother didn't need to know that though.

Her mother walked around their kitchen island and kissed her cheek "Please don't go packing pieces of cloth and pack actual clothes."

"The stuff I wear isn't even that short!" Ilaria retorted, her mother just shook her head and left for her room.

Ilaria did the same and sunk onto her bed, so much had happened in the span of just a few months - she wondered when it'll be enough.

She didn't really think it ever would be but she let herself hope that if she got Michael behind bars, things would be okay.

Ilaria dialed Rose and bit on her fingernails as she waited for her friend to answer.

"Question, burgandy or black?" Rose asked on the other side of the line.

"Uhm, burgandy?" Ilaria replied confused "What are you doing?"

"My nails."

"You're going to go with black anyway."

"Yep." Rose said "So what have I done to receive a call from you?"

"My mom is working late shifts this entire weekend and she doesn't want me home so she said I should sleep over at your place."

"Cool and let me guess..." Ilaria could hear the grin on her friends face "you're not coming to your gorgeous, gorgeous bestfriend, you're going to your pretty boy instead. I'm so hurt."

Ilaria felt bad, she didn't want Rose to feel like she was using her but the sneaking around would be over soon enough and then she'd be able to explain everything and apologize.

"I'm sorry it's just that -"

"You don't have to explain, I'm just happy you're happy." Rose cut her off "I'll cover for you."

Ilaria stopped biting on her nails "Thank you."

"Be safe!" Rose sung and Ilaria rolled her eyes "We aren't sleeping together."