Promise

TW : Small fluff, angst, AU

Summary : Dazai and Chuuya made a promise during their teens.

3RD PERSON POV

Past
This year, Chuuya and Dazai were both seventeen. Chuuya had been in the Port Mafia for a few years now after getting betrayed by the Sheep.
He was invited by no other than the demon prodigy, youngest executive of the Mafia— Dazai.

Chuuya's and Dazai's first encounter wasn't friendly, but over time, both had grew closer to each other to some extent.
Close enough to make a long lasting promise that might change their lives.

CHUUYA'S POV

It was already near evening. The sky started to change color. Even though we completed our tasks, I didn't want to go home. I don't know why, I wanted to stay longer.

The small footsteps behind me approaches closer until it was siding with mine.
"Chuuya~..." Dazai whined as he tried to keep up with my pace.

I glance at the male walking besides me, "What? You're being annoying."

"Let's walk a bit further before I tell you," he smiled at me cheekily before taking off ahead of me.

I was dumbfounded by him sprinting off, "Hey!! Get back hear you idiot!!" I hurriedly followed Dazai.

As I steadily caught up to him, I started to feel nervous. My stomach was in small knots at what he wanted to say. Usually I found it annoying whenever he does this, but today was different.

Our chase came to an end as he stopped, breathing heavily.
"You're too slow..~!" Dazai teased me, still catching his breath as if he hasn't ran in ages, which he hasn't.

"You said walk and you started running!!" I yelled back at him, that was until I realized we were at a park.

The park was rather empty, although I could hear subtle sounds of children laughing. We stood in front of a fountain, he grinned at me mischievously.

"Let's make a promise to each other." He said.

I raised an eyebrow at him, thinking of what he could possibly be scheming. "That's it? Just a promise?"

"Yeah. Will you promise me something?"

"Promise you what?" he looked at me with an indescribable look. All these years I've never seen Dazai look like that. He had an soft expression but he looked like he was serious.

"In 5 years, during that time.. Promise to grant me a wish."

I looked at him dumbfounded, "A wish? I'm not a genie..?" I scoffed. "Whatever, I'll say promise for now..—"

"No, Chuuya. Promise me that you will keep this promise. You won't go back on the promise."
I was shocked, in his empty eyes I could see a hopeful look. I don't know what it was but I was speechless.

I could only look at his eyes, the setting sun made his hair shine a golden brown. He seemed so distant and far but so close.

"I promise... I won't go back on it."

One year later
The year is ending, I am eighteen now.
A few months before, Dazai had left the Mafia. I do not understand why he had to leave but I hold no grudges against it nor any sorrow.

I just wished he told me why. Although it has not affected by daily life, he crosses my mind from time to time.
The night he left, I drank until morning.
I celebrated the fact that he left, but I also acknowledged my feelings of regret.