Explanation

Hanji gave a slight sigh of relief but exhaustion also hinted in it. More tears rolled on top of the dried blood on her face, but this time it was with happiness.

"I knew that voice was familiar." She tried to give me at least a small smile.

Even in times like this, she still tried to smile and stay happy.
She started to cough roughly.

"Hanji, try not to cough, it will hurt your throat." I said in a loud whisper while I kneeled down in front of her.

"Sorry..."

"Don't be sorry, that doesn't matter. We just need to get you out of here." I examined the cuffs that held her hands. Her wrists looked raw from attempting to break free.

"How are you gonna break them? I don't care if I have to get hurt in order to get out. I've already been through a lot of pain, I'm kinda used to it." She tried to give out a small laugh but ended up coughing more.

"Do you have any of those pin things in your hair?" I asked her.

"A bobby pin? If they didn't fall out, then yeah." Her hair was already out of a ponytail, so I hoped there was one left. I leaned forward and pushed my fingers though her hair, looking for a pin.
After a minuet of looking, I saw one pointing out of the tangled mess and I pulled it out.

"Ok, I'm gonna try to pick-lock this." I whispered while leaning away and now putting my grip on the cuffs.

"Ok. Have you picked a lock before?" She asked me quietly with exhaustion.

"Yeah, I had to when I lived in the underground." I informed her while I shoved the pin inside the lock and moved it around.

We heard a click, and the cuffs burst open. She immediately collapsed onto the cement floor.

"T-thank you..." She stuttered under a shaky breath. More tear spilled from her weary eyes.

"Yeah, whatever... Now, what did they do to you?" I asked sternly yet quietly while I placed my hand on her shoulder.

"They... Well they originally cuffed me here and asked me random questions about Titans..." She began while sitting up. She wiped away a tear. "Like if I knew how they came to be, or why they eat people.. I told them I honestly didn't know the answers, but they wouldn't believe me. They would whip me and cut me, hoping to break me. They told me they knew I was a scientist and I should know these things. They eventually gave up on questioning, but they chained me on top of a table in another room. Both my feet and hands. They showed me a sketch of the inside of a Titan and asked if it was accurate... I asked them why, but they didn't respond. They started to cut my torso open. They... They were comparing humans with Titans! They wanted to see how much of a dif-..." She was cut by being deluged with tears by remembering the scenario. She clutched onto my shirt and buried her face into my shoulder.

Why do these people have any interest in Titans? It's none of their business! I picked up one of the many papers that lay on the ground.
It was just filled with Titan information. I stared at it confused yet concerned. This must have taken years to get all this research.. I scrunched it up in a ball and dropped it back onto the floor.

I hesitantly wrapped my arms around her and lightly rubbed her back, avoiding the gashes. "Hey, it's gonna be okay. I'll carry you home, and everything will be fine. I won't let anyone ever take you again." I whispered to her, trying to assure her safety.

"I'm... I'm so sorry, Levi..." She cried in breaths while shaking her head with her face still in my shirt. "This is all my fault.."

"Hanji, it's not your fault that they took you." I responded.