New Friendship

I started to walk up the steps from the underground bunker. I noticed her eyes were closed and her face was relaxed. She finally started to doze off and take it easy. It was strange seeing her not getting excited over experiments or flipping out over Titans. Seeing her so calm was strangely satisfying. Seeing her so peaceful made me feel peaceful.

But when I got to my horse, I had to wake her up.
"Hey, Hanji."

She hesitantly opened her eyes while she got used to the sudden burst of sunlight.
"Yeah?" She said in a breath.

"You're gonna have to get on the horse. I'll help you."

I lifted her as high as possible and she managed to get one leg over the horse. As she did, I lifted her back so she sat upright. She winced in pain but didn't hesitate with moving. Once she was on comfortably, I took off my blazer and place it over her shoulders.

"But Levi... I might get your nice jacket bloody..." She said once the blazer was on her.

"Doesn't matter, you need it more than me."

"Is mister clean going dirty?" She asked with a smirk.

"That sounds so messed up, Four-Eyes..." I mumbled while untying the horse. She gave a small giggle. "You really need to shut up before your condition gets worse." I started to walk down the road with reins in hand and the horse followed.

"Aren't you gonna get on?" Hanji asked.

"No, I thought you might as well need the space."

She shrugged.
"Seriously Hanji, you need to get some rest. You're gonna die if you keep acting as if your fine."

"Well fine, Mr. Grumpy-Gills..." She mumbled while nuzzling up to the horse's mane. She let out a slight sigh and relaxed against the horse. I rolled my eyes and we continued.

After moments of walking in silence, we arrived. I tied the horse up and walked to the door of the familiar house.

I hope she's home...

I knocked on the door. No response.

"Hey! Lydia! It's me, Levi." I yelled out while knocking again. The same small footsteps were heard and the door opened slowly. She rubbed her eyes and yawned. She looked up at me.

"Sorry, I was sleeping..." She stared at me, letting her eyes focus. "So, what do you need? Just visiting?" She asked happily.

"Well I got this friend, and I wanted to know if she could stay overnight." I informed. I then turned to indicate where Hanji was. She looked and her eyes widened.

"What happened to her?!"

"It's a long story... But can we stay?"

"Of course! Come in and lay her on my bed." She instructed me.

There she goes, acting all motherly again. I thought as I watched her walk inside.

I shook Hanji's arm just a bit and watched her slowly wake up.
"Hey Hanji, we're at the place I said we would stay at for tonight." I said quietly while standing on my toes to make sure she could hear.

"Oh.." She said in a yawn. I stretched my arms out to her, indicating for her to get off. She slowly moved while breathing through her teeth. Once she was in my arms, I carried her in and placed her on the bed. She just barely fit. "So, where are we?"

"Lydia Jones's house. I met her while I was looking for you last night."

"She's cute. She seems nice." Hanji said with a relaxed smile while turning to look at the girl across the room. Lydia grabbed a cloth from the cabinet and the bucket of water and made her way to the bed.