11

Evelynn Brown.

"Baby what are you doing with your life?"my mother asked "cause I'm thinking about going back to my house, I feel like me being here is making you forget that this is yo house, I pay the bills, I buy the food around here while you do absolutely nothing "

"Mom not now."I mumbled.

"Well it's now or never, we need to have this conversation, I'm moving out and you gon' be forced to get a job, you can't be depressed forever "she said following me to the dining room.

"Maybe."I shrugged "I'll just become a stripper "

"You wouldn't dare."

"Look ma I lost my job long ago-."

"And who's fault is that huh? You was a dirty cop, you was letting yo lil hood friends off the hook and rubbing thier records like you wouldn't get caught "she ranted "I worked too hard to get us out of the hood and you just go back and deal are serious?"

"I don't deal anymore."I rolled my eyes "why do you think Conan has been here a lot recently? I got my job back, but as quick as I got it back is as quick as I lost it...I didn't wanna tell you."

"Oh yeah? Then why did you get fired?"

"They didn't fire me, the plan just blew over."I mumbled.

"What job cause I didn't see your uniform on."

"They put me undercover."

"I'm sure they trusted you enough to do that."she said sarcastically.

"You know what mama? You don't know shit about me, but I'll be real with you right now, Dmitri and his partner caught me dealing, and his partner turned me in... Dmitri had been protecting me from prison for a while but they pulled out all of my unpunished violations and now I face 20 years, so it's either I took the job or did the time."

"Oh is that why you hate Conan, he was so good for you."

"No..fucking Conan could've prevented all of this from happening if he didn't listen and go along with his partner, he wasn't there for me and he's part of the reason I'm in this situation right now...he's the one who suggested that I go undercover in exchange for a sentence free clear record."I explained.

"They wouldn't do that."

"The justice system ain't fair it's fucked up, I thought you knew that...I hope that clears any confusion."

"Why didn't you tell me."she asked sitting down.

"Because ma you gon' do the same shit, judge me and belittle me."

"How did the job go wrong?"

"He found out I was a cop."I plainly said.

She sighed "baby I'm finding it hard to believe you...if this guy is dangeroue and he found out...how are you here still alive?"she questioned.

"Because."I said softly "we had a bond."

"What kind of bond"

"A sexual bond."

She laughed "you serious? So what Shakira? You a dirty cop, a drug dealer and a prostitute?"

"No, but if he wasn't attracted to me sexually, it would've been my funeral right now."I said as the door bell rang.

I used that as an opportunity to go get the door.

I swung it open just to be met with Dmitri.

I tried to shut the door but he put his foot there "please here me out."

"No."

"Please Evelynn."

"What?"

"I'm sorry."he uttered.

"This is not the best time to talk right now."

"We have to talk about it."he stepped inside "you know I'm getting married, that shouldn't of happened."

"Oh so you a homewrecker too? Please Shakira tell me what else don't I know about you?"she asked.

"Dmitri according to me that never happened, and by the way you leaned in to kiss me."I rolled my eyes "I'm tired of everyone thinking that I am the problem."

"I just wanted to let you know that I'm sorry."

"No Dmitri that was way too far."I shook my head.

"Oh so what? You have boundaries now?"he asked making me squint my eyes.

"I've always had fucking boundaries what the fuck are you talking about?"

"When we were-"

"Nigga weeee?"I dragged "nigga 'we' is like ancient history, you getting married now, If I can get back in Saints life that makes us co-workers nothing less, nothing more.. Dmitri you are getting married...act like it, if it isn't love it just ain't enough to leave a happy home."

"I always wanted to marry you, I dreamed of marrying you."he mumbled.

I shook my head "I'm not stupid but this is stupid... I don't love you anymore, please don't try to change my mind, go home to your wife.

As hard as it is...I didn't love him anymore.

"You keep pushing me away."he chuckled "I love you Eve, even though you don't love me, I love you."

"Why are you getting married again? Do you love her?"I asked.

"To settle down and I do love her but I've never loved anyone like I did you, I put my job on the line for you."he said and he wasn't lying but I realised soon that he had actually been drinking.

"You are drunk."I shook my head "you don't mean that."

"Evelynn I love you."

"I don't love you anymore, when I needed you, you weren't there...I fell out of love for you, we're too apart we'll never work out."I said as a feeling of somber washed over me.

"You know, Jess is nothing like you, you're brave and kind, loving, strong "

"I meant what I said, it's a blessing knowing that I will always have you to call but I'm not breaking up a happy home, we will never work out."