The Prodigal

Alicent POV

The Green Queen didn't know what to think of Lord Stark's conditions.

She was actually glad he wished to court her daughter properly. Helaena was the kindest soul you'll ever meet and she feared her light being dimmed by the cruelty of the outside world. Rumors of the North's treatment of souterners, especially the devout were less than flattering.

So his stay in Kingslanding will let her get the measure of the man. If need be, even dispense with the whole mariage provided that Cregan Stark wasn't kind or decent.

The wedding in front of the heart tree is also acceptable. The ceremony at the Sept of Remembrance will have the majority of High lords present. Thus no one can give cause for an invalid marriage in the South.

Aegon's royal progress on the other hand.

She always tried to understand her firstborn son. Attempted to mother him as best she can. But she was barely a child herself when she had him. Her husband was utterly uninterested in helping and she couldn't just hand him off to nurse maids without feeling a piece of her heart was breaking.

And the succession never left her mind. The fate that he would bear should he name Rhaenyra as Queen. Would he die in tragic accident to assure his half-sister's smooth ascension? Or even that of her illegitimate child?

Should she blindly trust in her former best friend? Someone who lied to her, even though she swore on her dead mother's memory.

Should she prepare her son to rule as her father wanted? Doom him to a war that might get him killed all the same.

Her boy was as saddled with parental expectations and doubts as she was. He turns to wine and women while to turns to the seven.

Maybe they're both disillusioned.

A knock on the door draws her attention.

"Enter."

Her father enters the solar and sits across from her.

"Aemond has arrived, yes?"

"Indeed. Lord Stark has agreed to our proposal, although he has a condition to add."

The Hand of the king is intrigued. A gleaming light burns in his eyes.

"He wants for Aegon to accompany Heleana to Winterfell. He'll be officially on royal progress and journey to other northern houses."

She pauses slightly. Whispers are the most precious commodity in the Capital.

"He won't follow a king who doesn't know his countrymen and has their best interest in heart." She finishes in a single breath.

For a moment there is nothing but silence. Her father leans back and rests his thumb on his Hand of the King's badge, assuring himself it's still there.

"There's nothing wrong with a prince of House Targaryen visiting the King's domain. We'll quiet any murmurs with Aegon being an overprotective brother merely worried for his sister in a distant land."

He stops for a moment then continues with practiced ease."He'll travel to other houses to renew their link to the crown and bring any matters of concern directly to King's Landing. The track route is over a month long and nearly impossible to cross in winter"

Alicent's mind has gone in a similar thought pattern but she can't help but wonder."What if it's just a bluff? We've conceded a lot of ground in this marriage already. Lord Stark seeks even more to elevate northern power and prestige. To give in is to reward his greed"