Red Storm

Rhaenys POV

The sound of crackling firewood filled the air as princess Rhaenys of Houses Targaryen and Velaryon sat in the dimly lit chamber, nestled within the comforting embrace of her family's ancestral seat.

The room was adorned with tapestries depicting the ancient victories and glories of House Velaryon - a sentimental and clever gesture on the Queen's part - but the somber mood within her heart made the vibrant scenes seem dull and lifeless.

Her fingers traced the intricate patterns of the armrest, lost in a web of memories and emotions.

Her thoughts drifted back to a time when her father, Aemon Targaryen, eldest son of King Jaehaerys and Queen Alysanne, rider of Caraxes and heir to the iron throne, was alive and well.

She had always idolized him as a child. He was modest about his great deeds and encouraged her to follow her passions.

He had also made her a promise that would forever shape her destiny. The warmth of his presence enveloped her, his voice resonating through the chambers of her mind.

"Rhaenys, my daughter," he had said with unwavering conviction, "I will make you a queen. You shall sit upon the Iron Throne and rule with wisdom and grace, for you carry the blood of dragons within your veins."

Oh, how those words had filled her young heart with hope and purpose. She had believed in her father's vision, in his unwavering faith in her abilities.

But the harsh realities of life had shattered those dreams, relegating her to the sidelines of power and influence.

A stray arrow meant for Lord Caron had ended her father's life. In one fell swoop she lost her greatest confidant, her unborn child's grandfather and any hope of ever proving his faith in her wasn't misplaced. That she was worthy of the crown.

The Wise king Jaehaerys, the Old fool was her husband's preferred epithet, declared his new son Baelon would succeed him as prince of Dragonstone.

What a great folly that she should expect otherwise. He himself claimed Aerea's rightful throne after Maegor's death. At least Queen Rhaena had agreed with his decision in the beginning. He had some semblance of justification then.

But why is Rhaenys such an ill-fit to follow in his footsteps? Baelon is a great warrior yes. But there are stronger, more brilliant military commanders in the kingdom. The monarch can utilize them to protect and defend the realm. If she learns about strategies and tactics does it matter or not if she carries the sword herself. Her dragon Meyles would assure she's in battle anyhow.

But of course. The threat of insurrection is too dangerous. Decades of peace cannot be jeopardized for a woman's whims. Even if she's the legal heir by First Men and Andal customs.

Eight years after her initial usurpation, her uncle Baelon died.

In an ironic way, the Gods both smiled at her and ridiculed her.

The Great Council, that gathering of pompous lords and self-proclaimed arbiters of destiny, had chosen Viserys over her.

Her cousin had none of Baelon's martial or political prowess. Nothing to make him a more favorable candidate.

Except his cock.

That's what it came down to.

They had dismissed her rightful claim to the throne, blinded by their own prejudices and narrow-mindedness. The sting of that betrayal still lingered, a wound that refused to heal even now.

Resentment simmered beneath the surface, a resentment she had learned to mask with a veneer of duty and loyalty. But in the solitude of her chamber, she allowed herself to feel its weight, to acknowledge the injustice that had been done to her and her family.