Fools Gold

Aegon POV

The future king valiantly pushed back the desire to jump off the highest window in the Red Keep. For the last eight hours, he's been forced to listen to old men and his mother and Aemond nag one other about that law and that one.

He's kind of imagining his sire's headspace at this moment. Playing with toys wasn't something he had any interest in as a child. But honestly, he'll take just about anything over this constant yammering. Maybe he should've drunk until he passed out the night before. That way he can get a plausible excuse on why his head's about to explode.

Is it really so necessary to run circles around a subject but not actually get anywhere approaching a solution? Is he going mad in typical Targaryen fashion or is there absolutely no reason to drag out bureaucracy until the end of time?

"Prince Aegon. Our discussion seems to have bored you. Do you have anything to suggest?"

He blinks his eyes in semi-confusion at the Sea Snake's mocking words. Grandfather told him that the master of Driftmark had no issue with disrespecting Viserys each chance he got - though that's not much of a brag. Everyone in court has dissed the king one way or another.

To win the Master of Ships' approval, or at least dissuade him from betraying him in the future, he'll have to establish himself as decisive and cunning. Two things clearly unheard of in his sire's time. Getting distracted when matters of state are brought forth is a lousy impression.

But if there's anything Aegon excels in, it's thinking unconventionally. So, he's got this.

The Small Council, sitting around a the adorned table all look in his direction. Eager to hear his wise input. Or more likely wanting to see his public humiliation.

Traitorous pessimistic little fucks.

Aegon leans forward, a mischievous glint in his eyes. "Your grace. My lords. I assure you I'm not bored. I simply already have the solution that could address all our concerns."

He's one for theatrics. It's the family curse.

Corlys and Otto both raise their eyebrows, intrigued by his confident demeanor. Orwyle is the one to voice his thoughts.

"Pray tell, Your Grace. What is this solution you propose?"

"We've been focusing on the problem from the wrong angle. Instead of enforcing stricter regulations, what if we incentivize compliance?"

The Hand of the King is curious in his inquiry. "Incentivize compliance? How would that work?"

"Ser Tyland mentioned a law regarding tax evasion. Instead of harsh punishments for those who evade taxes, we introduce a system of tax credits and benefits for those who willingly comply and pay their dues on time."

"So, you're suggesting we reward the law-abiding citizens rather than punishing the offenders?"

Its his mother who asks the question. She seems genuinely impressed. Aemond is showing no outward signs of liking the plan.

Jealous bastard. Don't be a sore loser.

"Precisely. By offering tangible benefits to those who comply, we not only encourage voluntary adherence to the law but also create a positive environment where people feel motivated to do the right thing."

Fancy words sell his pitch better than actual substance ever could.

The Grandmaester is virtually on board. "It's an unconventional approach, but it might just work. We could even publicize the benefits widely to promote awareness and encourage participation."