Court Of The Crimson King

Warning: Daemon Targaryen

**

Daemon POV

Fire and blood.

Those are his House's words. For over a century, House Targaryen has stood at the pinnacle of power and prestige in the world, because they adhered to their ancestors pledge. And all the concealed and flagrant threats their motto encompasses.

But then a snake was let into the garden. A duplicitous treasonous second son belonging to some second rate Andal House.

Daemon would never forget the day his grandsire, a once great and fierce monarch turned into a senile old man at the twilight of his life, decided it would better to give the Handship to that lowly cunt Otto Hightower.

His father, Baelon the Brave, rider of Vhagar and true heir to the Iron throne was dead. Instead of grooming Viserys, the new rightful heir, and allowing him to be prepared for the crown, Jaehaerys promoted an unimpressive overtly ambitious administrator to rule in his name.

Daemon can understand somewhat the old King's reluctantly to name his brother as Hand. Viserys was too soft and could be influenced by the most basic of manipulations and trickery. But giving so much power to someone outside of the House of the Dragon was lunacy and could embolden other worthless hungry courtiers to steal what is theirs.

And like an ignorant babe, Viserys kept Otto in his high-ranking position after he took the crown. No regard for Daemon's superiority in every perceivable aspect.

No. He even insulted him with the post of Master of Coin and Laws as a paltry consolation prize. As if he was throwing him a bone to not get too upset that his rightful seat is usurped.

Daemon was willing to go to war for his brother. He benefited as Viserys' heir presumptive yes. But he might've died in aerial combat had Rhaenys took to the sky and declared herself Queen.

He doubts she would pose a serious threat.
The issue stands nonetheless.

He's proven his loyalty ten times over. But instead of recognizing his worth, Viserys just dumped those sad city watch members into his lap after he threw his Small council positions back to his face.

He gathered his recruits, went underground and fashioned his own personal army. They were the Crowns's men. And soon enough he will be the Crown. It's a good back up plan to have them on retainer just in case someone tries to contest his legimate ascension.

After hearing his brother's planning to host a tourney for his 'heir'. Daemon let out his gold cloaks to make their debuts.

An unprecedented roundabout of criminals of every ilk was held that night. This part of the city was crawling with an infestation of lowlifes. If he hacked off a dozen or more so called innocents to secure King's Landing, then so be it. No one's going to mourn dead smallfolk anytime soon.

It brought him exquisite pleasure when that glorified Hightower steward tried to have him punished for cleansing the bowels of Fleabottom from its filth, and failed miserably at his attempt. Adding in that dig about his dead wife was just a bonus. Otto shouldn't have brought up his bronze bitch if he wasn't capable of hearing his retort.

He thought about how to spite him further.

It came so easily at the tourney. His son was participating in his first joust. So Daemon took it up himself to show him the ropes. Make him fall into dirt and taste the mud and his own blood to educate him on how his life would turn out should he cross the Targaryens.

And his above average looking daughter was sitting at the stand near his beautiful little niece Rhaenyra. She blushed and gave him her favor after he embarrassed her sub-par brother like a good curteous lady.