Black Dynasty

Rhaenyra POV

Men would sooner put the Realm to the torch, than see a woman ascend the Iron Throne.

Because that is the order of things.

Rhaenyra had discarded Rhaenys' statement decades ago. Her cousin was projecting her own insecurities. Her uncle Aemon never lived to be crowned. So his daughter's succession was murkey at best.

But she was proclaimed as heir in front of the whole court. Every high lord had knelt and vowed fealty to her.

Than they betrayed all their oaths at the drop of a dime.

Words were wind. Never has she believed that until today.

"With the trial concluded, the Crown hereby finds princess Rhaenyra of House Targaryen guilty of treason." Alicent's smug tone was bleeding.

She is the Crown. They think they can judge her. Where is her father. What have they done to him. And where is Daemon.

"You are henceforth stripped from all titles, lands and ranks and set to join the Faith, where you will be embraced by our holy gods and cleansed from your mortal sins."

What is this insanity? They cannot ship her to an old secluded temple. Leave her to rot for the rest of her days.

She's the heir to the throne. She's a dragon-rider.

No. Not anymore.

Syrax' mournful roars reverberated across her memory. Her first friend crumbled by commen men. Everything they could've been.

That they should've been. Burnt to ash in an instant. She collapsed as her other half perished.

Condemned by her own hand no less. Why is this happening to her?

"Your sons are also declared illegitimate, with no rights of inheritance and will take the surname Waters. Additionally Lucerys will be sent to the Wall for mutilating a prince of the Blood. Jacaerys and Joffery ..."

She droned out the rest of that ridiculous verdict. She tried to get closer to her sons but they didn't let her. Her own children. Her flesh and blood rejected her. Just as they were ridiculed and taunted before the eyes of the court.

What sin did they commit to earn such scor? Would they have been pleased with her derided as barren? She had a duty to produce an heir. And she had three. All of them Targaeyen dragon-riders since infancy. If her half-siblings were ever given a egg - which they didn't deserve - all of them would turn into stone. Revealing their inadequacy to all.

This cannot be her fate.

Otto's voice finally registered in her mind. She never cared to keep track what Hightower traitor was spouting which nonsense. But his words broke something in her.

" ... Daemon has been killed in self-defence by Ser Gwayne Hightower. His rogue dragon Caraxes has been neutralized by our valiant princes Aegon and Aemond and princess Helaena before any harm befell our beautiful city."

No. He can't be.

Mother.

Syrax.

Daemon.

Father may as well be dead by now.

All those she cares about are going in smoke. It has to be some foolish nightmare. She'll blink herself awake. She's still in Dragonstone with her family.

"Let us celebrate their acts of heroism. To the saviors of the city."

At once the nobles started cheering and clapping at her husband's unlawful murder. Mindless sheep the lot of them.