Sand And Water

Alicent POV

The Dowager Queen entered her firstborn's solar with a thoughtful expression adorning her features. The events of Aegon's coronation feast were interesting to say the least.

She was proud of his assertiveness. The Seven know how she despised Viserys' lack of spine throughout her marriage to the lackluster king.

But for better or worse her father was an able administrator. Few could claim as much experience in running the realm as he does. And a new monarch's first priority is a smooth transition of power.

Firing him, even in favor of an ideal replacement like Aemond needed justification. So she means to found out how much thought went into this political gambit.

Alicent sat gracefully. Aegon was refilling his glass of Arbor Gold, and she signaled him not to pour one for her. Her mind needn't be addled at the moment. He may indulge a little for now. He always did speak more freely when she didn't pester him about his preferences.

"What did you wish to speak about mother?" His tone was jovial but that can be easily feigned.

"I simply wished to go over a few candidates for your small council. From what I gathered, you prefer younger but no less adapt officials in positions of power. Is that it?"
Surely there's nothing wrong with that. Subtle prodding will do wonders.

"I'm certain my brother would find you comparing his political acumen to our grandfather's flattering. But I have no desire to sing him any praises. I just don't trust the old bugger. Pass me that scroll there, would you?" Aegon quickly dropped his act, skipped past the answer and tried to steer the conversation elsewhere.

Not bloody likely.

"Your grandfather has dedicated his life to see you seated on the Iron throne. If you can't trust him, if you don't have faith in own your family then who do you intend to believe in, your grace?"

She's tried endlessly to instill a sense of familial unity in her children. Their sire and half-sister's branch may not care for them, so they had to value each other.

Alicent thought her eldest had outgrown childish tantrums. He was a man with a kingdom depending on him. True allies were few and far between. Cautiousness was essential. Paranoia and lashing out at his kin not so much.

"I'll get it myself then." Aegon moved languidly to retrieve his aforementioned scroll. Not affected with her embellished criticism.

He skimmed the correspondence and apparently liked what he saw, for he deposited it and made to fetch ink, presumably to respond immediately.

Surely he wouldn't be that impudent. He still hasn't replied to her question, rhetorical as it may have sounded.

"I think the message can wait until after we've spoken Aegon. Those who you name to your inner circle will influence the decisions you make. The entirety of Westeros will be affected. So they must be competent and trustworthy, I agree. Why you claim your grandfather isn't the latter is what evades me."

The young king sighs as if being faced with some dilemma. Surely offering his reasoning couldn't be that taxing. Aegon's face is uncharacteristically solemn.

"He's a cunt."

"Aegon!" Such foul language is commonplace, but he certainly looks more discomforted for having used it when she makes her dislike clear. He doesn't this time though. He actually grows more assured, a long tirade on the tip of his tongue.

"A clever one I give him that. But he's also opportunistic to a fault. He sold you like you were nothing but cattle to a man who butchered his wife. How can you still trust him?"