Schemes And Scandals

Alicent POV

The last month had proven to be one of the busiest in the Queen's life.

Her children were finally all together again. And as much as it brought unrivaled joy, it also frustrated her to no end whenever she remembered Viserys' nonchalance was ever prevalent.

Her youngest son Daeron had returned home as an anointed knight. One of the youngest to ever be granted the honor and the king hadn't even deigned to speak more than three words to him since he arrived at King's Landing.

And yet she recalls how he never shut up about the master swordsman Daemon, bestowed the valyrian sword Dark sister at sixteen for being the best fighter in his generation.

It wasn't that great a complement when you realize his only other rivals were the late Queen Aemma, the princess Rhaenys and of course her husband himself.

She knew Daeron handled the disappointment better than one would expect. As depressing as it sounds, he was never desperate for his sire's love and affection, for none was given to him as a child. And you can't miss what you never had.

Ser Criston was a saving grace in that instance. The two have trained every day for the past moon and Daeron has assisted in Small Council meetings and shadowed his actual father figure.

It was necessary he become a good battle commander. The fact that he enjoyed learning such matters so soon was advantageous. But she wouldn't have refused had he asked to fill his time in other pursuits. He was too young to be imprisoned by never-ending political schemes.

Aemond is the one she was worried about the most. Since Helaena's prolonged dream sequence, he's been awfully burdened with some hidden secret. He hides it well. His duties as royal spymaster have made it paramount he become a good liar. But she can also tell when he hides things from her.

She didn't comfront him yet. It seemed like him to feel responsible for Heleana's time bedridden even if he played no part in it. He was a hopeless dutiful martyr like she was as a girl.

But she also noticed his increasing bond with Cregan Stark. Her future good-son had caught the interest of her entire family.

She suspects Daeron only trains as hard as he does these days to best the young warden after he and his brother lost the duel against the northmen. He respects him as a warrior if nothing else.

Aegon as well has been very charmed by Cregan and made an off-hand comment on how anyone who beats Aemond with an inch of his pretentious life is a true friend of his.

She had no time to scold him before her sweet daughter stood up and proclaimed that 'her wolf' is the kindest man in the realm and would never hurt someone she cared about.

It was touching. They were to be married. But her certainty was confusing.

They were barely in each others' orbits. The dances they shared at feasts weren't inducive for blossoming affection. The loud music and crowded room made sure of that.

And the few walks they partook in the gardens had escorts following them very closely. Intimacy again was off the table.

She chose to overlook the entire exchange.

Seven help her was she turning into her husband.

No. Cregan was to be Helaena's husband in under a fortnight. Not some clandestine lover.

Any love between them is a boon to be cherished.

Her daughter's wedding preparations was naturally the most time consuming matter on her hand.