Hand Of Loom

Otto POV

The king shits and the Hand wipes. That's how the infamous saying goes.

In his two decades of service in court, the second son of House Hightower has made himself one of, if not the most powerful man in the realm.

He's not a princely dragon-rider or a lord paramount with a large army. His only tools in his pursuit of greatness were his sharp wit and adaptable thinking.

They turned out be more than enough.

Upon the old King's health failing, he took the reins of the fledgeling Targaryen dynasty. Jaehaerys' preferred heir Viserys seemed a soft hearted man but Otto assumed his guidance and sage council will steer him down the right path.

How wrong he would be.

But his younger self didn't know the hardships and tribulations of the future. He only cared about living up to the responsibility the Conciliator entrusted to his hands.

Even then, the Rogue prince was a thorn in his side. Daemon was and still is a mercurial butcher with the emotional maturity of a child. Time and time again he advised Viserys to send him away.

In the early days of his reign, he rejected all voices of reason. The king went so far as to give him several position on the small council.

Otto's only relief was that Daemon got bored with all of them within a few months. And wasn't remotely competent in his duties. Proving the veracity of the Hand's claims. The prince was nothing but spoiled and lazy, with a too high opinion of himself.

Viserys wanted his brother to serve at court anyhow. Find him some position that suits him my friend, he said.

An absurdity of the highest order.

But, like the faithful servant he is, Otto suggested the city watch. Daemon was despite every failing a half-decent swordsman. Violence was the only language he spoke fluently. He could train other soldiers and bring some stability by force if that's what it takes.

He underestimated his appetite for anarchy. Instead of creating a strong unit under the Crowns's banner, Daemon cultived a hive of thugs and killers loyal only to him and his own code of justice. Murder and mutilation ran rampant in the streets of King's Landing.

But naturally who gets the blame.

Of course it's Otto's fault. He should've predicted my brother's berserker rage and gave him a more fitting position.

The Hand suppressed his anger. Sooner rather than later, the prince would blunder and fall.

And Otto will be there to gloat.

His prayers were answered the night of the heir's tourney. Daemon, drunk on barrels of wine or just his own inflated ego proclaimed himself the one true successor to the crown. He toasted to his own nephew's death styling him the heir for a day.

Otto was torn between gleeful and stupefied. How does one do something so stupid. Perhaps excessive inbreeding in the royal house leaves permanent mental disabilities.

He wasn't one to turn a gift horse in the mouth. He gathered the council, relayed the news as was his duty. And just let the king direct his anger and grief on a worthy target.

His suggestion of naming Rhaenyra as heir seemed well intentioned.

How he suffered for it in the days to come.

It was an honest mistake. Viserys has talked to all who would listen about the baby boy his wife would deliver, ensuring his succession.

He should've specified when he signed the marriage pact with Otto, that the son to inherit his crown could only ever come from Aemma's womb. Every other woman could birth a thousand sons and all of them will come second to his daughter and her bastards.