f o r t y - f i v e

blah blah blah

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"has he gotten any better?"

"not really, i bought him lunch just now and he barely ate it. said he was tired and went back into his room." you skimmed through the synopsis on the back of the book before placing it back on the shelf. you let your eyes wonder around the rows of books, hoping to find one that would interest you.

it was seven in the evening and you had came to the butterfly estate to have dinner with ayumu. aoi had cooked for everyone and you were more than happy to join them. after eating, you went to find shinobu and updated her on giyuus' conditions. you were now in her office, searching for another book to borrow as she finished up her paper work.

"oh dear, is he drinking enough water though? what about the medicines?"

"yeah, i made sure he takes his medicines and all but he's sleeping most of the time. i mean i'm glad he's getting some rest but he hasn't eaten a proper meal for the past two days," you let out a sigh, picking out another book from the shelf.

"it's alright. just let him be for now. his body might be rejecting the food and causing stomach aches, forcing him to eat could make things worse. the medicines takes some time to take effect so for now just get him to rest for a few more days. oyakata-sama is very understanding, so there's no rush." the insect pillar placed her pen down and gathered the stacks of paper before tying them together with a rubber band.

"tomioka-san can be very stubborn sometimes, but if it's you, i'm sure he'll listen."

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

well, she definitely wasn't lying about the stubborn part.

you raised your brow at the man standing in the living room, dressed in his uniform with a sword by his side. "what are you doing?"

giyuu had the same nonchalant look as he answered your question. "i'm continuing my pillar duties-"

"absolutely not." you marched towards him, taking a hold of his wrist and dragging him back to his room.

"[y/n], i can't waste anymore time laying in bed-"

"why not?" you turned around to look at him. "you're sick and you need to rest." you forced him to take a seat on the edge of his bed, taking away his nichirin blade and leaning it against the wall.

"i'm not sick anymore-"

"uh huh." you grabbed the thermometer off the desk and handed it to him.

...

39.4°C

"[y/n] it's-"

"tomioka giyuu, unless your temperature is below thirty-eight degrees, you are not allowed to leave this house."

...

"but-"

"how can you do a good job if you can't even stand up for a minute without feeling like nauseas? anyway, i spoke to shinobu just now and she said oyakata-sama wouldn't mind if you took a few days off. therefore, you have no reason to go on missions with a fever. gosh, you need to take care of yourself, you know? you shouldn't be putting your health at risk like that. it's so irresponsible. what are you going to do if the fever gets worse? you seriously need to get your priorities right. i mean, what if you pass out from exhaustion while fighting a demon? it's so not worth losing your life because of something so silly. and don't argue with me alright, i'm not letting you go until you're actually better so don't even try-"

"                     "

"-? huh? did you say something?"

giyuus' eyes widened as if he had just said something he shouldn't have. "nothing. i didn't say anything." he shook his head, breaking eye contact with you.

"why's your face all red?" you pointed out.

he shook his head again. "i was just, holding in my coughs."

you narrowed your eyes at him in suspicion, "ooookay..?"

you watched him reach for the cup of water on his table before realising it was empty. "would you like me to refill it for you?" you offered.

"yes please," he handed the cup to you, still avoiding eye contact. not wanting things to get any more awkward than it already is, you quickly left the room.

when you returned, giyuu had already changed out of his uniform and had on a plain shirt with a worn out pair of pants. you placed the cup down on the table and was about to leave when he said your name.

"[y/n]."

you turned back around, not really sure of what to expect. "yeah?"

he opened his mouth to say something but immediately closed it, pressing his lips into a tight line. his brows furrowed as he stared hard at the floor. he seem to be thinking about something but you weren't sure.

"giyuu? are you okay?"

he let out a sigh and shook his head, "sorry, its nothing. goodnight."

you felt unsure but simply nodded and said goodnight before leaving his room. he was probably tired and you didn't want to keep him awake any longer. what was he going to say though?

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

as soon as you shut the door, he let himself fall back onto his bed, staring blankly at the ceiling. he let out a defeated sigh and closed his eyes.

"i just cant do it."

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

🤨