Seven

"You're on your way... right?"

She scoffed at the evident scepticism in his voice, "What do you think of me?"

"Nothing positive"

"You do remember you're talking to a dying woman?"

"And you remember I'm the literal devil"

Surprise, surprise she was not here on time.

In fact... it had been almost a week since she last contacted him.

And now, like an idiot, he was in the hall dialling her phone like a stalker.

Due to his daily visits the older women knew something was up. "Did you scare her away?" the woman who glared at him at their first encounter, snidely remarked.

The woman who hit him followed after her, "She probably got some common sense and left his ass!" Their little posse haughtily laughed as they pointed and jeered at him.

"Fuck you..." he quietly grumbled under his breath. He was sure to remember their face and torture them when they arrive in the DevilDom.

She did mention that she would be done with the art piece soon.

Was she dragging time out because she didn't want to say goodbye? No that wasn't it-- why was he even thinking in that way?

He remembered how pissed off Lucifer would be whenever he came late. For the first time in his life, the avatar of greed felt sympathy towards his older brother.

He continued to ring her phone while walking through the hospital.

He then heard 'kickball'.

"Why do we need to exchange numbers? Just ensure you come on time" "You never know, what if plans change?"

"Then don't change them?"

He called her number, and the familiar 'kickball' started playing. "Is that--"

"It's the chainsaw male op! did you see the anime!?"

"Do I look like an otaku to you?"

"I don't want to make you cry"

"I don't cry, I'm a man" He purposefully put a grunt into his voice.

"I saw your eyes tear up when those old women scolded you"

"They're THE ONLY EXCEPTION!"

He rushed up to the doctor who ended his call. "Why do you have her phone?" The strangely familiar doctor raised his brow.

"Me? Why are you calling her?" What type of doctor was he? He had such an attitude... Maybe humans had become more bitter since the last time he properly interacted with them. He had mainly talked to her, and she was the least human he ever met.

Little did he know the doctor recognised him as the creep lurking behind the tree a while ago. "She saved your number as 'the devil', so I doubt you have a good relation..." God, she just had to make his life more difficult by any means necessary.

With his suspicious behaviour and strange name on her phone, he immediately became defensive towards him. He wasn't tall, he was shorter than Mammon but he sure as DevilDom didn't act like it. He had his arms crossed with a puffed chest and scowl.

Before he could step closer a man, significantly larger than the both of them pushed him backwards. "Steph, calm down!" the taller nurse scolded him before smiling at Mammon.

"Are you Mark? She told me to look for you-- I'm so glad I found you!" Seeing the name start with the same letter as his own he assumed that she made a fake name for him; a shitty one at that.

He just nodded. "See Steph, he's a friend of hers... don't be rude"

"A friend?-- and stop calling me by my name! It's unprofessional."

"You don't spend a lot of time with her nowadays doctor, so calm yourself-- Mark, follow me!"

As he followed the nurse he could feel the doctor's burning gaze on him. That doctor... was such a prick. He was determined to steal that bastard's years away if it came to that.

"Sorry about him, he just... cares about her, trust me he's not a bad guy" He couldn't believe their words but decided to play along. "If he gives you any more trouble call for Milo-- that's me!"

Milo was huge... like huge. He was tall, tanned, and muscular with his long hair tied into a messy half-bun. Despite his appearance, he constantly had a smile and spoke very politely, unlike the smaller doctor who acts like he's Mr Worldwide himself.

He could see her through the window... on the hospital bed. "I thought she made you up to alleviate my worry about no one visiting... I'm glad she has someone!"

He patted him gently, as gentle as someone his size could be, before unlocking the door for him. She lay there attached to machines...

"God, I didn't want you to see me in this state" she chuckled to herself.

She... looked so weak.

Dark circles.

Pale skin.

Dry lips.

Hollowed cheeks.

"I bet you were pissed off that I was late, huh?" seeing the sparkle in her eye remains... made him feel better.

"No, I wasn't"

"You don't need to lie"

"Good to see you're still as annoying as ever" He couldn't hide the bitterness in his voice.

"Why are you in such a shitty mood?" even when she shoved him... it felt so weak-- "Mr Devil, tell me what's on your mind"

"OH YEAH-- how could you save me as 'The Devil'!?" she pursed her lips, "Well, that's what you are--"

Mammon needed to get angry. He felt sad; anger was the only emotion to overcome his sadness.

"AND Mark-- I mean, come on, did your illness make you stupid or something...?" his voice was beginning to crack.

Her eyes widened seeing his eyes glossy. They were as glossy as when the old women would tease him. He felt pity towards her.

She was used to this from others, but seeing Mammon like this... was she really this pitiful?

He had to ask her what was going through his mind.

"Why didn't your brother visit?"

"He's... busy"

"Too busy to see his dying sister?"

"Mammon."

"What? Am I wrong? You raised that prick and now he just--"

"He doesn't know!"

"...HUH!?"