Eight

"How could you not tell him!?"

"You wouldn't understand"

"you're being selfish"

"do we have to talk about this now?"

"You Have to tell him"

"Mammon--"

"He'll beat himself over for not spending enough time with his little sister!" the both of them just stared at each other. She remembered how he mentioned his little sister in the past tense. Was he projecting?

Did he not have enough time with his own sister?

"I think I should go.." he opened the door.

He paused. "You're a stupid human so remember, I'm not actually mad at you... so don't feel hurt-- what I meant was I'll come back...so don't mope around in self-hatred dumbass"

Hearing the door open she snapped out of her thought. "Doctor, don't you have other patients to attend to?" Ever since she was admitted into his hospital he's been practically harassing her with his concern.

"I'm not a doctor" She looked over it was Mammon. He had her art bag slung over his shoulder as if it was his own.

He actually came. Although she wanted to believe his words she couldn't ignore the feeling that he'd never return again.

"Fuck, just the word doctor reminds me of-- he was such a prick!" he sat on the chair beside her, "His treatment towards me worsened after the amazing contact name you chose for me, but he clearly had no intention of being nice!

He felt a surge of anger at her trying to stifle her laughter. "What now?"

"I can't believe you didn't recognise Stephen"

He blinked, the musty-looking guy... was the rude but handsome doctor? "That was Stephen!? I remembered him being uglier..."

"Pfft-- he actually puts effort in his appearance for work so his shitty haircut is slicked back so you can actually see his handsome face" He was taken aback. Why was he actually good-looking? That just pissed him off more.

After that quick conversation, it became silent; not the comforting type the too awkward to say what's on your mind type. It pained her to see him fumbling for words as if he had nothing to say, he was forcing himself to speak.

"You know, you don't have to stay with me out of pity... right?"

Pity. Was that what he felt?

"I kind of do, you did blackmail me with your illness the day we met, besides a deal is a deal."

"I don't think I'll be able to draw you today"

"I'm not here for drawing, I want to change our deal"

No. This was not pity. But what was it?

"To what?"

"Ask for extra time"

"Mammon." Despite the sternness in her vocal tone he continued to press her, "Give yourself extra time to spend with your brother-- you can tell him and live your remaining time with someone you love."

She just sighed. "No."

"It's not an option, I'll force you into it if I have to"

"What? You're going to threaten to kill me?" As she chucked he felt an unreasonable rage brewing within him.

"I'd rather die than know I'm living at the expense of another... I know you'd have to steal away someone's life"

His expression was angry, but his voice was sad. "Why can't you be selfish?"