Papers

Aelita spent the rest of the afternoon inside her room, petting Maya and reading her history notes because of the upcoming exam. The note that Jeremie gave her laid beside her, together with the picture the mentioned boy brought to her earlier.

She then gave up on studying, seeing that it was almost 8p.m., meaning the dinner will be over soon. Closing the book, putting the cat aside and standing up, she gave one last look at the picture of her and her dad, before running out of her room, heading to the cafeteria.

It wasn't suprising to her that no one was outside, since the famous movie was being aired in the town, and the people that didn't go are probably already in their rooms. Walking inside the building, she spotted that no one except their school chef was there. 

She took her tray, and moved to the window where Rosa sat.

"Ah, Aelita, what would you like? Chicken or spaghetti?" Rosa asked.

"Spaghetti, please." She said, as Rosa gave her a plate with spaghetti. But before Aelita could walk away, Rosa poured some ketchup on top of it, something she had never done.

"Since you always are so nice to everyone." Rosa said, and smiled at Aelita. Aelita nodded, and walked away, towards a table. 

She dipped her fork into the meal, trying to get the ketchup everywhere but failing.

Why is this hard? Aelita thought. Soon, she heard footsteps coming closer and closer to her. She thought it was just another student forgetting about the time, so she didn't pay attention. But she paid attention when the footsteps stopped next to her.

"Can I...sit down?" She lifted her head up, seeing Jeremie, withi his tray in his hands, and looking at Aelita. 

"Of course." Aelita said, looking back into her plate, trying to mix the ketchup and the spaghetti, without scooping the spaghetti out of the plate.

Jeremie starred at her, and wanted to help her, but it felt wrong out of a sudden. He didn't even know if apologizing through a note would be the right thing to do.

"Aelita..." Jeremie started, gaining the girl's attention.

"Hm?" "I can...help you, if you want." Jeremie shyly said, only to see Aelita sigh in relief and pushed the tray to Jeremie. Jeremie grabbed the fork, and carefully stirred the meal, making the ketchup dissolve into the spaghetti.

"Aw, thanks. It's really hard." Aelita said, as Jeremie pushed it back to her. "I need to learn how to do it myself." 

I would be glad to do it for you anytime. "No problem." Jeremie said. 

There was then a silence between them as they ate their meals, while also looking at the watch every now and then so they wouldn't get locked inside. But they knew Rosa was nice and would let them finish their food in peace. And Jim was out in the cinema with the students, so there wasn't a strict curfew.

"I was thinking." Aelita began, gaining Jeremie's attention immediately. "Why would you want to stay with me here?"

"When?" "Surely your family is more important to you than someone you met a few months ago." Aelita said. "So why do you want to spend Christmas here with me?"

"I-" He didn't really have an explanation, and he didn't even get to call his father or mother about it.

"Don't stay here because of me, I'll survive the week or two." Aelita said softly and smiled. "And if something happens on Lyoko, I have Yumi here."

"I just...wanted to stay...so you wouldn't be alone." "I was alone for many years, I can survive a week or two." Aelita chuckled. "But really, don't stay because of me."