16

Antheia spent the whole day cooped up in room while Amedeo tried every possible way to talk to her, without coming off as clingy. He failed obviously, but at least he tried.

By the time Theo came home, Amedeo was pacing.  But he stopped after noticing Theo. "You."

Theo looked around the pointed to himself. "Me?" He asked with a finger on his chest.

"Yes, you. You go and ask Antheia what's wrong. Go!"

Theo made a disgruntled face before nodding. He wasn't going to ask, not after the way his uncle talked to him. He knocked on his aunt's door and walked in after exactly 30 seconds.

"Hello, aunt Thea," he greeted. "How are you this fine afternoon?"

Antheia glanced at the child she now considered her own. She'd never be able to not talk to him. "I'm okay. How are you?"

"Well, now that I'm with you, I'm great. So, tell me, what did you do today?"

Antheia tilted her head. "Nothing much. I stayed here the whole time."

"Oh, well, I was in school and I think I made a new friend. His name's Zayan. He's funny, I like him."

"Friend?"

"Yeah," Theo nodded eagerly. "It's like people you're not related to but you love them anyway."

"Are you my friend, Theo," she asked with child-like curiosity shining in her eyes.

Theo giggled. "No, silly. You're my aunt, that means we're related."

"Oh." Antheia wondered what that means. "What does related mean?"

Theo thought for a moment. He didn't really know what it means. "I think it means people you're born to, you know, like my dad. He's my dad, so I'm his son, and you're his sister, so does that make you my mother? What? No no, I'm being stupid like uncle Arlo. I'm not sure what it means, but I think," Theo paused for a moment. "I think being related means you love each other."

"But didn't you say friends are people you love?"

Theo opened and closed his mouth. This topic was too complicated for the child. "I think it means family."

"What's family?"

"People who love you. No matter what. Like how uncle August loves you but he's too shy to say it. And, and  family is people who care for each other, like how uncle Amedeo asked me to ask you if you're okay, because he's worried about you. And like you and me, we love each other so we're family!"

Antheia nodded. "Theo?"

"Yes?"

"I want to go to the garden and meet the dog again."

"Dog? You mean Duke? Oh! You've met Duke! He's like my best friend, except not funny like my new friend, Zayan, 'cause he can't talk, he's a dog. Let's go meet him!"

Theo then proceeded to drag his aunt by her hand down the stairs where they met Amedeo, walking up and down. "Uncle Amedeo! What are you doing?"

"Nothing." Amedeo didn't want them to know he's pacing because he's worried. How ridiculous!

"Oh, okay. We're going to the garden, and to see Duke," Theo yelled in excitement. He couldn't wait to show off his flowers. "Come on, aunt Thea."

Antheia cautiously walked over to the dog at the far corner of the garden. "Hi," she whispered.

Duke tilted his head, sniffing for a moment. He seemed to recognize the smell, so he moved towards her, wagging his tail. He liked this human. So he did what he thought was best, he jumped on her and started licking her face.

Duke's suddenly action startled Antheia for a bit but she immediately calmed down when she heard Theo giggle.

"He liked you." Theo giggled. "Duke! Stop now, you're making her all wet!" Theo continued to giggle as the dog covered his aunt in slobber.

While they were playing and laughing with the dog, Amedeo watched from behind the curtains. She seemed normal to him. With Theo at least. That means he has done something wrong to warrant this cold shoulder. But what has he done?

"Fuck it," Amedeo growled to himself. "I'll ask her. And I should get her some flowers. Brilliant."

Amedeo rushed out if the house to buy some flowers, driving like crazy until he reached the flower shop. "I want flowers," he grumbled stepping inside the shop.

"Oh, hello dear," an old woman greeted. "What would would you like? Some red roses for the missus?"

"No. For my sister."

"Oh! That's so sweet dear. Is it her birthday?"

"No."

The old lady smiled a little more. "Maybe you could tell me the occasion so I could help you pick out the flowers."

"She's mad at me," he almost whined.

"I see. Maybe try giving her some tulips. Girls love them and they do send a very strong apology message."

"Alright, get me those."

"Of course, dear." The woman wrapped the white flowers in soft silk, placing them in his hand. "Don't forget to say sorry."

Amedeo grunted, paying for them and stomping out. He got in his car and raced back home. But he didn't seem to have the courage to go to her. What would he even say? I'm sorry? Sorry for what? He didn't do anything wrong. "Fuck this," he growled throwing the flowers on the ground and stomping on them.

"Doctor Mathias, I'm coming over. There's something I need to- to understand," he said on the phone before driving off again.

A/N

Hey guys, I'm back. Sorry to keep you waiting, from now on updates are gonna be on Saturdays. Please vote and comment.