Chapter 17

Valerie's POV
Months have passed and I've entered maternity leave so I can prepare for the birth of my children.

Jasper and Demetri had gone to Volterra to meet up with their other mate, Heidi, and Demetri was replaced with a man named Santiago.

Santiago stood at 5'10 feet tall and had an athletic build with a Brazilian ancestry. He kept his hair in long dreadlocks that I often found myself putting metal jewelry bits in, much to his amusement. Santiago had a laid back and carefree attitude that I found myself grateful for in my stressful situation, he was also extremely loyal and quiet so he often kept himself in my company for support and protection.

I was currently in my nursery room in Forks folding baby clothes with Rosalie and Esme while being guarded by Santiago and Emmett. My kings, Felix, Alec, and Jane were finishing up the newborn business in Seattle.

They had taken Bella to be killed by Victoria, hoping to give the vampiress some comfort before putting her out of her misery.

Since then they've been weeding through her army looking for salvageable newborns for Jasper to help and killing the rest.

To think that if Edward and Bella hadn't been so selfish and delusional they wouldn't have single handedly destroyed the innocent lives of 22 teenagers and their families who will never know what happened to their children.

I shifted uncomfortably as my stomach and back ached. I had brushed it off as pregnancy and morning sickness, but I was sadly mistaken as when I shifted I felt a gush of liquid in my pants.

Perplexed I first thought that I had peed myself (which may or may not have happened a few days ago) only to feel a sharp pain in my back making me gasp and lurch forward as if that would help me escape from the stinging sensation.

Rosalie and Esme were at my side in a second and Santiago and Emmett hovered nearby "What happened?!" Santiago demanded to know as Rosalie made me start practicing my breathing "Her water broke, we need to get her to the hospital now!" Esme said.

Emmett leapt into action and scooped me up bridal style and started to flit to the hospital with the other hot on his heels. I vaguely heard Santiago call the kings while Esme called Charlie.

I tried to keep up my breathing but fear seemed to fill my body and made me panicked as everything that could possibly go wrong went through my head.

I found myself curled into a fetal position on a hospital bed in a gown. I don't know how I got here or who changed me, but I didn't care. I was too busy hiccuping and sobbing as I held my large stomach as if that would do any good in my situation. I think the doctor was talking to me along with Esme and Rosalie, but I didn't pay them any mind, too busy trapped in the worst parts of my mind.

'What if I was a bad mother? What if they hated me? What if they died?' The what if's just kept coming until a cool rag was run across the back of my neck. I managed to pull my head out of my chest and looked up to see Charlie kneeling by my side with his arm outstretched and running the tan along my heated, sweaty skin.

"Val...I know that you're scared, and probably tired right now, but these babies need to come out now" Charlie said making the lump in my throat ache as I choke out "What if I screw up?" Charlie looked at me and I could see his unshed tears "You're human, you can make mistakes. It's normal, but don't let you're fear of failure stop you from learning to be better."

I stared up at him unsure for a moment before saying "Don't leave me...please? Just stay" he smiled and nodded before helping me sit up. The doctor walked over from the side of the room and as my brother helped me get into a comfortable position she said "Let's get this show on the road."

~~~timeskip~~~
After six hours of grueling labor, Elliot and Olivia were finally here.

The nurse had laid them on my chest as soon as they were both out and had been looked over. Their warm, fragile forms were nestled against my breasts and tears filled my eyes as I stared down at them "Elliot and Olivia...so beautiful" they cracked their eyes open and looked up at me before their lids fluttered shut and they started whimpering.

"Get used to that noise" a nurse joked but I ignored her in favor of comforting my babies that were finally here.

~~~timeskip~~~
I was finally home from the hospital after three days and Rose carried Olivia's carrier while Esme carried Elliot's. Charlie carried my bags not wanting me to lift anything, and I didn't protest this time as my lower half felt really sore which the doctors assured us would go away soon and told my to just take baby Tylenol.

There were the nosey busy bodies that kept trying to peak at the new additions to the family but Charlie thankfully told them to get lost.

I limped over to the couch and Esme and Rose followed me with the carriers and helped me get situated with my babies.

Elliot looked like me with Zeke's green eyes, while Olivia looked like Zeke with my brown eyes.

They are perfect.