The House Guest

Elizabeth knew something had happened to Elijah since he hadn't been back and Damon was acting shifty

Elizabeth knew something had happened to Elijah since he hadn't been back and Damon was acting shifty. She knew that Stefan and Alaric had something to do with it and it wasn't until Damon led her into the basement that she gawked at Elijah's body. 

"I can't take the dagger out and neither can you, if they know we aren't on their side, we won't know any of their plans. We just have to wait until Elena gets desperate and Klaus shows up. Act natural until then." Damon warned her and Elizabeth nodded, crouching down next to Elijah's body from her and running a hand over his cheek. 

"I also have to warn you that Katherine's here, when we ended up daggering Elijah at the dinner party, it turned her loose so be careful." Damon continued as Elizabeth stood up. 

"Anything else?" She asked, and Damon moved closer to her and put an arm around her shoulders. 

"I called Lexi about what you told me and how you nearly bit Elijah in the library. She's on her way here so there's a bright spot in an area of bad news." He admitted and there was some thrill about seeing Lexi again, but it was overshadowed by the ache at seeing Elijah's daggered body from her. 

"Great, can't wait to see her." Elizabeth admitted before Damon led her upstairs and shut the door behind them. 

***

Matt was putting up a poster which read "Live music tonight at the Mystic Grill" on a wall when Caroline joined him, looking pretty awkward. 

"Hey, Matt." She greeted and he didn't even turn to look at her.

"Hey." He said and Caroline winced at the flat tone of his voice from her, it was clear that he was still mad at her. 

"Live band?" She asked and he finally turned to look in her direction from her, but avoided looking into her eyes from her.

"Yeah, business has been a little slow. The Grill's trying to stay afloat." He said and Caroline tried for a bit of humor. 

"Aren't we all?" She asked, smiling but it slipped off her face as Matt didn't even look slightly amused by it. 

"Have you heard from Tyler?" Matt asked her and she froze at the mention of Tyler. 

"Not a peep. You?" She asked and Matt shook his head. 

"No, not since he stopped by the Grill to talk, and I've left messages on his cell phone." He admitted and Caroline pounced on that. 

"He stopped by to see you? What did he say?" She asked and he shrugged.

"Not much, really. I mean...I think to say good-bye without really saying good-bye. I just didn't know it." He admitted, feeling a bit bad about snapping at Tyler. The guy was clearly going through a lot with the death of his father, Mason abandoning the family again, and how weird it was between himself, Matt, and Caroline.