The Last Day

Stefan was in his bed and he sat up when he heard Elijah's conversation with Elena and the others. He got up, headed downstairs and joined them. Elijah was standing in front of them all, a characteristically serious expression on his face. 

"Tonight is the full moon. We should assume that Klaus is prepared to break the curse." He informed them and Rose raised her hand, tentatively. 

"Elena said that the Sun and the Moon curse is fake? That it's actually just a curse placed on Klaus." She probed and Elijah nodded in confirmation. 

"Klaus is a vampire born of a werewolf bloodline. The curse has kept his werewolf aspect from manifesting. But if he breaks it...He'll be a true hybrid." He explained and they all nodded and then Stefan joined them. 

"Then why are we letting him break the curse? We can kill him today. With Bonnie." He asked and Damon rolled his eyes. 

"Stefan...." He began and Elena shook her head at that. 

"No. Bonnie can't use that much power without dying." She denied and Damon rolled his eyes at that. 

"Not a fan of judgy, but I'll write her a great eulogy." He snarked and Elena glared at him. 

"It's not an option, Stefan, Damon." She snapped at the two of them and Elizabeth whistled at that. 

"All right, how do we break this curse? Or better yet, how does Klaus break the curse?" She asked and Elijah turned to her, his expression softer and more affectionate

"Well, the ritual itself is relatively straightforward. The ingredients, so to speak, you already know." He answered and Damon nodded in understanding. 

"The moonstone." He stated and Elijah nodded. 

"A witch will channel the power of the full moon to release the spell that's bound within the stone. After that, Klaus, being both werewolf and vampire, will sacrifice one of each." He explained and Elena glanced between them. 

"And where do I fit into it?" She asked and Elijah looked at her, annoyed by her voice. 

"The final part of the ritual." He told her before he grabbed a wooden box from the shelf and blew a little dust off of it. It had been years since he had opened it, after all. 

"Klaus must drink the blood of the doppelgänger...to the point of your death." Elijah said and Stefan grabbed Elena's hand, the tight grip of it causing her to look at him as Elijah opened the box and took a jar out of it.

"And that's where you come in." Elena said and Elijah nodded, shaking the jar lightly. 

"This is an elixir that I acquired some 500 years ago for Katerina. It possesses mystical properties of resuscitation." He informed her and Elizabeth snorted. 

"By what? It manifests an EMT and they do chest compressions and CPR?" She asked, a little bitter about Klaus's death, which she didn't even understand. They had never met officially that wasn't him hijacking people's bodies and sending innocent students to play mind games.