Chapter 10: First Task

Is The Dark All Dark?

Chapter 10

Harry was silent as he stood in the far corner of the tent watching the other three champions. His arms were crossed as he turned his attention to the light noises he could hear just outside, knowing there was a lot of people gathered to watch the first task. He was still attempting to figure out just what his plan was depending on what it was they were expected to do since all of the judges had been keeping it pretty hushed up. His stomach felt like it was twisted into knots more from the anticipation than from fear.

"How are you so calm with this? We're about to be doing Merlin knows what facing off against dragons. I'm older than you and I'm terrified." Cedric stated, moving to sit on the cot next to Harry. He glanced at the older Hufflepuff for a minute before he released a sigh, reaching up to push his hair out of his face.

"Because...compared to some of the other things I've had to face while at Hogwarts this isn't the worst." He admitted, shrugging him off. He turned and walked towards the tent entrance, attempting to get even a small glimpse of what their task was. His hand had barely grasped the tent opening when it was pushed open and Barty Crouch walked in, an obvious grin on his face as he looked at each champion and headmaster.

"Welcome everyone. We have quite the outcome to the first task and each of you seemed to have your own cheering section so good luck to all of you. This first task is going to be very entertaining it seems. Each of you are going to be assigned a dragon by drawing a miniature version from this bag. Each of these dragons have been transported here with their eggs. You have to figure out a way to get past each of them to get to the golden egg that has been placed among their real eggs. Now keep in mind each of these eggs have been warded against any type of charms that can just summon them to you. Have to put on some type of show to keep everyone entertained." Crouch chuckled, waving his wand to summon a purple cloth bag that held the miniature dragons. Harry glanced around as he announced what the four types of dragons had been brought for the task, tuning the older wizard out.

"I wish I had thought to ask Remus if Parseltongue worked with dragons too." He muttered under his breath, crossing his arms. He leaned back against the tent post watching as Mr. Crouch held out the bag for Krum to pull his dragon first. He stood in silence as he watched the three main champions pull their dragons, feeling the pit in his stomach worsen with each pull, knowing it would be his Potter luck that he ended up with the last and worst dragon they had decided to use for the task.

Draco sat in the stands, leaning back in his seat as they waited for the first champion to exit the tent. He could make out his mother and father sitting among the Hogwarts visitors, knowing they were here to show some form of support for Harry even if he didn't want anything to do with them.

" Wonder how Harry is going to handle this? It's crazy that they managed to get permission to bring 4 nesting mothers' to Hogwarts." Blaise breathed, leaning forward in his seat as Cedric stepped out of the tent, standing at the starting point.

"What does it matter how Potter does? He isn't the Hogwarts champion. He thought he was too good for our school." Theo Nott complained, crossing his arms with an annoyed expression on his face

"Shut up Nott." Daphne snapped, glaring at her fellow Slytherin over her shoulder. She turned back around ignoring the shocked looks she was receiving from several people around them. Draco stayed silent during the first three champions, none of them capturing much of his attention as he thought about what he knew about each dragon species that was brought out.

Daphne glanced at Draco when he suddenly sat up when the Hungarian Horntail was brought into the center of the arena finally.

"Are they crazy? Hungarian Horntails are fiercely protective of their eggs and near impossible to contain outside the reserves." Draco explained, moving to stand from his seat. Daphne reached out to grab his arm. He stopped, glaring at her for a moment before continuing down the steps, intending to make his way to his parents. His heart hammered in his chest as he watched his twin walk out of the champions tent.