Chapter 18: Ferrets and Drama

Is The Dark All Dark?

Chapter 18

Harry shifted slightly uncomfortable as he watched the Hogwarts Defense against the dark arts teacher walk towards him from where he had seemingly appeared out of the shadows.

"Is there something I can help you with Professor?" he questioned, quickly taking several steps back in an attempt to put some distance between them. He knew from Remus and Tonks that Mad-Eye Moody was someone to always be cautious around. He'd managed to avoid him during the last task since he'd been pulled away by the Malfoys nearly as soon as he'd been cleared by Madam Pomphrey. And since he didn't actually take any classes at the school he didn't seem him on a daily basis.

"Figured out the next task yet boy? Can't have you making Hogwarts a laughing stock because you haven't taken the time to do your homework." Moody grumbled, reaching out to grab Harry's shoulder. The young wizard barely managed to hide the wince at how hard he squeezed it. He found himself praying to whoever was listening that either Draco or Lucius decided to come looking for him like they normally did when he disappeared for too long.

"I think I have a plan. But I still have another month before the actual task. I should really be getting back to the ball sir." Harry stated, attempting to pull away. The frowned crossed his face when Moody's grasp grew tighter, keeping him firmly in place. He glared at the older wizard for a moment, moving to flick his hand just enough to release his wand from the holster strapped to his arm.

"It would do you good to show Albus some respect boy. If you know what's good for you." Moody growled, his magic eye flickering for a moment.

"I don't think the school board would like you handling a student like that Professor Moody. Especially a student that is a guest in the school." Draco's voice suddenly echoed around the court yard. Harry glanced over his shoulder, relief flooding through his body as he caught sight of his twin and their friends walking towards him. Mad-Eye finally released the hold he had on Harry's arm, glaring at the group of Slytherins.

"Shouldn't you five be in the Great Hall enjoying the ball?" he grumbled, his magical eye shifting to each of them as he spoke.

"We were looking for Harry since the Lord Malfoy is getting ready to return home for the night." Daphne stated, not taking her eyes from her professor. She'd had an uneasy feeling about him since the school year started, always seeming creepily obsessed with Harry, even before he'd returned for the tournament.

"Just wait til my father hears about this. He'll have you sacked for rough handling a guest, especially since that guest is recognized as a lord to a prestigious family." Draco stated, his pompous pureblood mask slipping into place. The small group barely had a minute to blink when suddenly a white ferret stood where the Malfoy Heir had.

"What do you think you're doing?" Harry demanded, quickly pulling his wand. Moody simply levitated Ferret Draco, bouncing him around with an insane looking smirk on his face.

"Stop it. Leave him alone!" Daphne shrieked; panic clearly written on her face as she watched her friend slam against one of the stone walls of the court yard. Harry gritted his teeth in anger, his magic flaring for a moment as he watched helplessly. Blaise backed away before turning to run and find one of the chaperones or professors.

"Should teach the little ferret a lesson on sticking his nose into other people's business." Moody growled, ignoring the yells and complaints of the students around him.

"Professor Moody, what are you doing?" Professor McGonagall suddenly yelled, hurrying towards the group with Blaise close behind. Harry looked at his previous Head of House, hoping she would do something before Draco was injured further.