Chapter 19: Yule Holiday Disasters

Chapter 19

Yule Holiday Disasters

Harry was silent in the owlery of Malfoy Manor, managing to hide from his 'family' since he'd seemed to get up before everyone else. He sat up in one of the higher windows, his legs pulled close to his body as he rested his cheek against his knee. He absently ran his fingers along the back of Hedwig's neck as he stared out at the grounds. Everything was perfectly in place, meticulously cared for by the house elves and with magic. Everything about the manor made him feel out of place, constantly reminding him that he didn't belong in their extravagant life.

"Breakfast is ready if you would like to join us?" Narcissa suddenly questioned, catching his attention. The witch looked up at him with an unimpressed look on her face at his current location. He looked back at Hedwig for a moment before he looked back down at her, nodding. Narcissa crossed her arms, having to stop herself from flinching when he simply jumped down from the window like it was nothing.

"How did you know where I was?" he questioned as he walked beside her towards the family dining room. He'd learned during the first few days of the Yule break that they all ate breakfast together in a smaller dining hall, the main one only being used during fancy dinner parties or large gatherings.

"Believe it or not, when he isn't hiding in his office, Lucius comes to the Owlery to think when he's got a lot of things he needs to work out." Narcissa explained as they walked through the manor. Harry didn't bother trying to hide the surprised expression that crossed his face at the thought of someone like Lucius Malfoy spending any long periods of time around any animal that wasn't his precious peacocks. Harry didn't get a chance to response before they arrived at the dining room, his steps faltering when he stepped inside and spotted Severus once again sitting between Lucius and Draco. His potion's professor spared him his normal disgusted look before returning to his conversation. Draco frowned as he glanced between his godfather and brother, remaining silent as to not turn his godfather's frustration to him. Harry bit his tongue to refrain from making a hateful remark, sitting between Tonks and Remus. Both of them offered him a good morning. He barely acknowledged them as he took a small scoop of eggs and a couple slices of toast.

"Harry do you have any plans today? I was hoping you would be willing to help me in the gardens?" Narcissa questioned, watching her youngest with a concerned expression on her face.

"I have a few homework assignments I wanted to get started on but...those can wait until later this afternoon." Harry offered. He glanced at Severus for a brief moment when the potions master released a noise, clearly giving his unvocal opinion of him 'slacking off'. Narcissa spared her friend a look for a moment before looking back at her son, hoping he wouldn't change his mind on spending time outside of his bedroom.

"I...If you'll excuse me please. I should actually probably get that finished before I do anything else. I can meet you outside later once it's finished." he muttered, pushing away from the table. Tonks opened her mouth to object, stopping when Remus squeezed her hand to stop her from voicing her objection. She didn't miss the look on his face as he practically ran from the room. She glared at Severus for a moment before returning to her breakfast.

After breakfast she excused herself to go search for Harry, intending to talk to him about whether or not he wanted to spend the rest of the holiday at Malfoy Manor. It irritated her how much disrespect the Potions Master had showing her young cousin since they'd arrived at the manor after the Yule Ball, not failing to notice how little any of them had actually seen Harry since that first night.

"Izzy?" Tonks called, glancing around the empty hallway. A pop echoed through the hallway as the small house elf popped into view. She crossed her arms, wearing an annoyed expression on her face.