September 8, 2021

"So you've got powers?" Emily prompts as we share a box of cereal.

"Yeah, got 'em about 3 months ago? Give or take."

"Anyone else know about it?"

"My sister back in North Carolina. Bloody genius, that one. She's amazing."

"How'd you get them?

"Spider bite."

"What, like Spiderman?"

I glanced over at her, surprised, "You know about that old ass comic?"

She half grins, "My pa was an avid Marvel fan. It's a shame it never really took off though. It had so much potential. Spiderman was his favorite. As the creator said once, 'Anyone can be Spiderman.'"

I laugh lightly, "Anyone, huh? I suppose that's true."

She then gives me a mischievous smile, "So are you gonna be a hero?"

I roll my eyes, "Yeah. It's why I started taking martial arts lessons."

"Got a suit?"

I reach over and pull up the loose plank and pull out the box with the outfit and hand it to her, "I designed it but my sister made it."

She opens it and stands up to get the full look of the suit, "Kinda plain, don't you think?"

I roll my eyes and snatch it from her, "I based it off the common spider that would be found around I got bitten." The gold line outlining my back and the silver line going down my legs alongside the silver dots with a black spider motifs on the front all on a whiter than even me design.

I tilt my head, "Though maybe I shouldn't have chosen white as the base colour."

"It would make spotting blood easy." Emily notes.

I shrug, "Well, it's too late now. I gotta stick with it now. At the very least, it's easily washable despite the whiteness. Claire is amazing like that."

"When are you going to start going out and actually being a hero?" She asked.

"Maybe in another three months. Also, please don't call me a hero. I'd prefer to be called a vigilante. Heroes are selfless, I am not." I say, cringing at the thought of being a hero.

"You're not selfless?" She questioned, visibly amused by the notion.

"No. I'd turn villain really fucking quickly if something happened to you or Claire. I'd go on a massacre." I tell her, incredibly seriously.

She blinks at me, "I'm flattered, but please don't."

"As long as you're okay, there is no worry." I said.

She sighs, "I'll take it."

I nod, "Now, I've got a flat viewing tomorrow. Do you wanna come?"

She hums, "Sure."

"Fantastic." I'll figure out how to branch onto the topic of her actually staying with me after the viewing.

I'd actually been looking at apartments for about a month now, but they were either too small or didn't allow pets despite saying otherwise on their ads. And I wanted a damn cat.

But this one showed a bit more promise. It was still a studio, but it was bigger with a full kitchen and bathroom.

There was decent soundproofing between walls, so I wouldn't have to worry about neighbors overhears any conversations I might have with people.

"So?" The landlord asked.

"It looks good. What do you think, Emily?"

She pulls back from where she was peeking outside and looks at me, "Its awesome. Not really what I'm used to, but it's functional and a place to sleep with heat and AC."

I smile and nod.

"So shall I get the paperwork?" He asks.

I glance at him and nod.

"Since you are from out of state and it's your first time renting, it'll take about a week for the paperwork to be processed. You also wanted to pay in advance?"

"Yeah, I've got enough to pay six months and the deposit." I look at him, "If that's okay."

He looked somewhat surprised but nodded, "Yes, of course! Let's head down to the office."

"Sure thing." I glance back at Emily, "Emily, let's go, yeah?"

She looks at me and hurries over.

After reading through the contract with my sister on the line to help make sure I'm not getting scammed, I sign the paperwork.

"Is she staying with you as well?" Dan the landlord asks, nodding over to the almost asleep Emily.

That snapped her awake and she looked between him and me several times before she started trying to stammer out a denial.

I interrupt her, "Darling, I'm more than happy to take you in. Not to be insensitive, but you're dad's dead and you're mum's a bitch. Claire has connections with a lawyer to make the guardianship more permanent."

She stares at me, "Are you serious?"

I nod.

She stares at me a little more, eyes becoming watery, "Yes. Okay. I'll stay with you."

I smile at her, "That's good." I glanced at my phone where Claire was still on call. She speaks up, "I'll go call my aunt. She usually doesn't take on these kinds of cases, but she owes me a favour. I'll cash it in for ya."

"Thank you Claire. Good luck on your finals tomorrow."

"Thanks." She then hangs up.

I turned back to Dan, who was politely making himself busy by making copies of the contract and getting a receipt ready.

I smile at him when he hands me the paperwork, "Let's go out to eat, Emily."

"Okay."