February 13, 2022

I flip onto the news, wanting to see if they had anything else to say about my appearance in costume.

“And in other news, there is still no leads on who our mysterious masked vigilante is and how they came upon they’re spider-like abilities. Some theorize that they’re not true supernatural abilities but rather just advanced technology the government has been hiding from us and the Spider is just their experiment and lackey.”

My eye twitched, “Ew.” That was a critical hit, “Imma need to fix that assumption, quickly.”

“Maybe spray paint some anarchist shit and make sure people see you do it?” Emily says from our bed.

I hum, “Perhaps. I’ll need to steal it though so no one can trace it back to civilian-me and you girls.”

I wasn’t much of an artist, that was Emily’s area of expertise. But I could copy something relatively easily. I look back over at Emily, “Design something for me, dear?”

She nods, “Sure thing.”

“Thanks.”

The next day photos of Spider spray painting anarchist propaganda spread far and wide over the internet. Some condemn the actions, most approve. (At least, those closer to my own age, who see the faults of the government and how they refuse to change with the times.)

We were growing tired of being treated like children and pushed aside as if we don’t matter. Of being told that we don’t know what we’re talking about. We see something broken and are trying to fix it. They will not listen and will not let us fix it, so it's about time we started fighting back.

A molten hot rage was slipping from my mind and into my heart. I’ve had enough. I will not discriminate. I’ve seen how my sister is treated, how my mother did not take my words as a child to heart and now I had trauma to fill a notebook tenfold. How that man abused my sister's trust and how she has been hurt by such a broken system.

I’ve seen the damage done to Emily, how she doubts herself and scratches at her arms some nights when the nightmares get too much for even me to be able to calm her down.

Something has to give soon. And it will not be us.

They tried to douse us in water, only for us to explode. They will burn with the consequences of their actions. I’ll make damn sure of it.

“Raph, your phone screen is cracking.”