October 18, 2021

I hold open the door for Emily and wait for her to pass before I follow her in, heading to the desk where someone was waiting.

"Hello! Welcome to Dons! Do you have an appointment?"

I smile at the lady and pat Emily on the shoulder, "Yes ma'am. It should be under Raphael for Emily at three."

She turns to her computer to check it before looking back and smiling, "Blue box braids, right?" She was addressing Emily directly and I smiled at that.

Emily nods shyly, "Yes ma'am."

"Is it your first time getting your hair done?" She asks gently as she motions for her to follow her.

"Yes ma'am." Another nod.

The receptionist looks back at me, a question in her eyes.

"Her dad was the one who mostly raised her and he was white. He died a year or so ago and her mums a bitch. I only officially got guardianship of her a couple weeks ago." I will explain.

"When Raph first realized I was sticking with them long term, they did a ton of research to make sure my hair was healthy, even if they couldn't bring me to a professional salon yet." Emily was quick to jump to my defense at the perceived insult.

"Easy, sweetheart. I meant no harm." She soothes.

Emily still eyes her wearily before nodding in acceptance.

Emily is directed to a free chair where a stylist was waiting and the receptionist returns to her post.

"These braids can take a couple hours to do, so if you've got some errands to do, Emily is in safe hands." She informed me.

I glanced over at Emily, who was quietly speaking with the stylist.

"Luv." I call out and I can see her turn her attention to me without moving her head, "Do you want me to stay here or am I good to go do some errands?"

She thinks about it for a moment before she says, "You can go. I'll be okay."

I nod and glance at the lady, "Please call me when she's almost done. I'm pretty sure I'll be back before then, but just in case."

She nods and I head out again.

I had some books to return to the library and I needed to go withdraw some money to put into rent savings so I can pay in advance once the current six months is up.

As I had told them, my errands really didn't take too long and I was back in an hour. And true to their word, it took quite a few hours for Emily's hair to be done.

I'd even had time to get back to the flat to get our shared Switch so she could play on it while the ladies did her hair. Halfway through, two other stylists joined the original, which was probably why it didn't take nearly as long as it could've.

By the time she was done, she was absolutely glowing in joy and I could feel a wide grin on my face.

"Good?" I ask as I finish paying the salon.

She looks at me and gives a firm nod, "Fantastic."

"Good. You ready to go get some grub?"

"Yes! I'm starved." She groans, grabbing onto my arm. I laugh, "To Pizza Hut then!"

That night as we laid in a bed we made together and I played with one of her new electric blue braids, she whispered into my stomach, "Thank you for taking me in. You didn't have to."

"Oh darlin', you're much too precious and bright to have been left behind. Your mother doesn't realize what she is missing out on." My voice is just as quiet.

"Never forget you are loved. That you are not alone. And even if your pa is no longer here physically, he's still living on in your heart."

There was silence for a few minutes before Emily giggled, "That was so corny."

"Shuddup. I was trying to be soft." I groan, "have a nice heart to heart and all that, you know?"

Her giggles taller off and she burrows her head deeper into my stomach, "I know. I love you, Raph."

"Love you too, kid." I let go of her hair, " Now go put your bonnet on before you go to sleep. Don't want to run your braids so quickly."

She grumbles but pushes herself up and out of mine and the blankets embrace.

She heads to school the next day with an excited pep in her step, excited to show off her new hairstyle to her friends and teachers.

I head to work and for once am not completely dreading the day. While the job wasn't bad per se, the amount of absolute dumbasses that came in when their solutions were super simple was phenomenal.

Gods, people were so fucking stupid.

"Hey, Raphael. You seem to be in a good mood today." John says in greeting as I walk in.

"I took Emily to get her hair done yesterday and she loved it." I explain as I shrug on the store vest over my hoodie before going to clock in.

"That was yesterday? What style did she end up choosing?"

"Blue box braids."

"Oh, nice! Crazy hair colours must run in the family." He teases.

I snort, "Definitely."

"You're doing a good job with her, Raph." John says, "I remember seeing her once at school while picking up my kid because before you two met and there's such a stark difference in how she holds herself."

I stare at him in surprise and he looks over at me, "Whatever happened to her before you took her in, broke her. But just being around you, seems to be helping her." He then shrugs, "Of course, I could just be looking too deep into things. I don't actually know her, after all." He finishes, a sheepish look on his face.

I laugh lightly, "I understand. Thank you."

"No problem."