March 13, 2022

Emily goes into labor early in the morning on March 13. It was going to be a lazy day. Some lazing about. And then Emily yelps in pain as the first contraction hits. I curse and roll her to the side as gently as I can and get her comfortable, throwing a web at my phone and yanking it to me, quickly speaking to the dispatcher.

The lady on the call was also nice and warm and she is quick to send an ambulance this way. I turn back to Emily and readjust her carefully.

Once I’ve done that, I quickly gather the tote bag we had made in preparation for this happening.

“You’ll be alright, luv. You’ll get through this. You’ve got us by your side.” I continue to whisper comforting words to her as I start to hear a siren and I leap from my crouch spot beside her and hurry to the door, swinging it open and leaving it like that as I go back to her.

Everything turns out okay, despite the circumstances of this situation. The newborn, named Kamala Khan by Emily, was in the NICU to be safe but according to the doctors the baby was perfectly healthy, despite everything that's happened.

Khan was an odd choice, but apparently it was our neighbors last name and they'd sort of taken it upon themselves to keep an eye out for us. Emily admitted she wanted her mother's name to die out, as she'd gotten stuck with it since her dad hadn't been at her birth and thus hadn't had a say.

And Kamala Belle just didn't roll off the tongue like Kamala Khan did. Which was valid.

“I’ll get the forfeit paperwork started for you kids.” An older nurse smiles at them kindly, turning to leave.

“What?” Emily chokes out.

“Well I assumed since you’re both so young you were giving up the baby. It would be very irresponsible to keep it, after all. You have no idea what you’ll be doing.” She speaks slowly and somewhat condescending, “Besides, there are plenty of older adults who are having trouble conceiving and would love to adopt the girl. Despite her mixed status.”

My glare went from harsh to downright deadly. I calmly stand from where I’d been sitting beside, and look the lady dead in the eye and place a hand on the metal railing of the bed, “Emily wishes to keep Kamala, so she will and she will have me and her other sister helping raise her. You had no right to say such things, leave and send in your superior, I will be having a word with him about this.”

“Oh, deary. Giving her up is the best option! You have your whole life to look forward to! The girl can always have another later on. She spread her legs for the mutt's dad, she can do it more.”

The railing snaps under pressure and the old hag gasps and goes deathly pale, staring in terror and she snaps her gaze back to me, “Leave. And send in your superior, immediately or you may not live to see tomorrow.”

She whips around and hobbles away as quickly as her feeble old legs can. I snarl rumbles up my chest and Emily's hand snaps out to hold onto the hand that still held the bar, “Calm down, Raphael. You’re not really doing very well at hiding your abnormalities."

"I don't care." I hissed, "The absolute audacity that bitch had to say that! How dare she!" I mindlessly bend the metal still in my hands, needing to do something with my hands before I break more expensive shit than a handle bar.

I scoff, taking several deep breaths before gently setting down the mangled piece of metal.

“I recorded the entire thing, in case she tries to spin the story against you.” I glanced over to my phone where Claire was in fact on call and had been through the entire birth. I sigh, “Thanks, sister dearest. You’re my favorite.”

“Hey!” Emily whines, a playful smile on her face.

“Sorry, I misspoke. Emily is my favorite. She gave me my favorite niece.” I say, mock sadness in my voice.

“She’s probably going to be your only niece.” I could hear the eye roll in my older siblings' voice.

Before we could speak more a young black man storms into the room, dreads pulled back as much as they could be, “Who the fuck do you think you are, attacking my staff?”

My cooling temper flares again and I open my mouth to give him a piece of my mind, but I was interrupted before I could, “Allow me. I recorded the entire thing the moment that lady made the first comment.”

The doctor shot a glance at my phone and took a deep breath to try and calm his nerves, “Play it.” It was obvious he was trying to calm down, trying to become professional.

We all sit in silence as Claire plays the recording. The young doctor goes from a protective rage to an annoyed pissed, “Strike three. I’ll be getting her termination papers ready immediately. She’s been getting worse as she got older. Forgive me for my presumptions, you’d be surprised how often our nurses get threatened. She lied to me and made it seem like you had attempted to harm her.” He bows to us, holding out his hand for a shake, “I am Doctor Christopher Muse. And though I thank you for not actually harming the old hag, You’re still going to have to pay for the railing. I won’t ask how you managed to get it that mangled and twisted, but they’re kind of there for a reason.” He shrugs sheepishly as I blink and slowly speak, “Yeah. I understand. Thank you for hearing us out.” He nods and bows again before making his retreat.