June 30, 2022

I was exhausted, coming back from patrol. Senses had been on a low buzz the entire day, even if nothing major crime-wise had happened.

My senses reach a crescendo as I register Emily sitting on the couch, clearly waiting for me to return with a sad look in her eyes.

"Emily? Is something wrong?" I quickly glance at the crib and breathe a small sigh of relief when I see Kamala laying in her crib fast asleep.

"You'll want to sit down for this." She says solemnly as she picks up the TV remote and starts flipping through videos and channels on YouTube.

I frown but do as she asks, sitting beside her and watching as she clicks on Technoblades channel.

He had uploaded a video! I smile, giddy. Then I register the title and the smile fades.

Was he taking a break from YouTube? I wouldn't blame him. Even if he beat cancer, I bet it's exhausting.

Then the video starts playing and my senses all go silent as an older man appears on screen and sits in the chair and Floof comes trotting onto screen and up to the man.

Throughout the entire video, I kept thinking, This is a joke, right? And I kept expecting him to pop up on screen as a surprise face reveal to celebrate beating cancer.

By the end of the video, silent tears started to fall and I felt my heart break. Oh. This is what my senses had been warning me about.

It's a haze that I pick up my phone and go to the website, clicking the first jacket I saw and ordering it.

"Oh, Raph. I'm so sorry." Emily leans into me, arms coming around my waist as she hugs me.

How was this fair? Technoblade was a fucking hero and deserved the world. He's done so much for so many people and for the world to just snuff his candle just like that?

Gods, this hurt so much. Why did it have to hurt so much? I've been to several funerals in my life and never shed a tear, but some motherfucker I never even met dies, and that's what breaks me?

"It hurts." I whisper, clinging to my sister.

"I know." She whispers back, squeezing me back just as hard.