21

The sounds around me were muffled, as if I was listening from under water. I could make out bits and pieces of conversation but nothing concrete. My eyes were heavy and made it almost impossible to open them even a crack. But it was becoming easier as the moments passed. The groggy feeling was beginning to lift and I was regaining enough energy to try to pry my own eyes open.

"I think he's finally coming to." This was the first thing I've heard in its entirety, that wasn't completely muffled or cut off. 

"Finally." A gruff voice responded. Must be Jali. 

My eyes opened slowly and I took in the foreign surroundings before focusing on the two faces hovering over my bed. Jali's passive face on my left and Malin's worried one on my right.  I was bundled tightly in a comfortably plush bed with a blanket thrown over me, keeping me nice and cozy.

"How are you feeling?" Malin questioned, his voice firm but soothing.

"Thirsty." I croaked and Jali reached behind me and grabbed a glass of water, holding it to my lips as I gingerly sucked back some water. Once he pulled it away I sighed before answering the previous question. "What happened?"

"You've been asleep for two days which is slightly abnormal but in exchange for all that rest you've seemed to have healed physically faster than others. Eros said he didn't sense any lingering parts of the bond so its been completely erased." Maline explained.

Looking within myself and searching out the bond that had been closed off as best I could but I didn't find anything. It was gone. There was not even a trace of a feeling with Jelani. It felt as if my whole body had relaxed in an instant. The relief that echoed through me was so intense I wanted to scream.

"So it's over?" I questioned.

"It's over Little Bird." Jali's eyes as bright as his smile.

"It's over." I sighed and closed my eyes reveling in the feeling; like a massive weight lifted off my chest.

"What are you going to do now?" Malin asked, his eyes flittering between me and Jali.

"To be honest, I have no idea." I muttered thinking about it. I didn't want to go back home. As much as I missed my mother I wasn't wanting to be around my father so soon after breaking my bond, my emotional state strained already. I loved him but I also didn't want to risk him sending me back to my ex-mate. However, I didn't want to go back to Nicholai and his mate's home; I was grateful to them but I didn't want to be a burden to them much longer.

"Well wherever Horus go I will follow. He's been something of a good luck charm to me so I'll follow him." Jali was resolute as he reached out and began to run his fingers through my tangled locs, separating the strands from the feathers.

"We really don't have a concrete place to go. I'm sure we can kind of pick a place and thrive. I mean, I am a god. I'm sure I can call in a few favors and set up somewhere new but there's a million and one places to go." I mused thinking over who owed me a few favors.

"You can stay here in my home for a while if you need time to figure it out." Malin offered.

"Your home? Is that where we are?" I questioned, finally struggling to sit up to see more of it. Jali and Malin both eased me up into a sitting position, putting a pillow behind me to secure me. It seemed like his home was built right into the roots of a large tree. But it was clear there was magic involved as the roots had been so tightly wrapped together to form the walls and ceilings that it was clearly not natural. 

Bright light shone through two large windows that sat to the right of me. I could see a large open space outside but it appeared that we were higher up, maybe a second story. The bed itself was huge and offered a lot of space even for him.