19

A month.

Somehow we were able to stay hidden for an entire month already and no one has come looking for us which I found more suspicious. The month seemed longer because every waking moment I wondered why it was that they haven't found us. Every sound made me jump, every shadow in the corner made me flinch and I fought to remind myself that I was a god and that I shouldn't being acting like this.

"Stop worrying. We have wards up to tell us if unwanted visitors show up and you also have us here to help." Set reminded me. It was strange that we had grown closer through this incident. Regardless of what I put him and his mates through he was still willing to help when asked.

"How's mom?" I questioned knowing that my mother wasn't too pleased with my father for sending me away the way that he did. Last I heard from Set she still wasn't speaking to him or even sleeping in the same room as him.

"She's good. Still mad at your father though." Set laughed as he exited the room, no doubt in search of his mates.

"Good." 

Even though there was no way for him to know that all this was going to happen to me I felt the need to hold a grudge against my father as well. Everyone goes through things and I would have snapped out of my funk in a decade or two and all would have been right with the world. 

But then again, if I was never sent there then I wouldn't have met Jali either and Ra knows what would have probably happened to him eventually. Marin probably would have gotten jealous of the brotherly bond him and Jelani had and this would have all ended up so much worse.

"You're always thinking too much Little Bird." Jali sighed as he turned the page of his newest book. On his third day out of the room he found the library and has been somewhat attached ever since. If you didn't seem him with a book in his hand then something was wrong. It was actually quite a refreshing sight to see him able to relax and read, compared to how I initially found him.

"Well one of us has to. So you relax and I'll figure out the rest of our lives as fugitives." I sighed, waving him off. His deep chuckle reached my ears, causing me to look up at him with a pout. "What?"

"Fugitives? Really?" He questioned.

"You're definitely a fugitive and I'm now one for aiding and abetting." 

"That's a human thing. We live by different rules. As long as we don't destroy the gods and the universe we're good. We simply have to stay off of everyone's radar for a few years and they'll forget all about us."

"Really." I stared up at him with a dull look in my eyes. "You think that Jelani, Marin, and your family  are going to stop looking for us?" I questioned in disbelief.

"Eventually." He shrugged his shoulders before turning another page.

"You're delusional." I sassed before I got back to planning our life on the run. There were a few other places we could hide that no one would think to look for us at if this one ever got compromised. Although I would rather stay here as long as possible. It took a bit of time to get used to but the shifters here really seemed to have forgiven me. They treat me like one of their own and it's confusing to say the least.

Jali and I both are allowed to roam about freely, although we usually keep close to the house. None of their pack mates question us or give us weird looks, except for the kids, they have a million and five questions every single day.

They even offered me a separate room so that I could be more comfortable but after trying to sleep in their one night I found myself back in the same room with Jali. It was more comforting to know that the only other person going through this with me was sleeping right next to me. He never made it awkward or weird and always woke me with a kind smile and ruffle of my hair.