18

"So what do we do with them?" A familiar voice questioned. 

My eyes felt heavy as I struggled to open them. Vaguely, I remember teleporting us away from Jelani and Marin but I wasn't even sure how I managed that considering I wasn't even supposed to have any of my magic down there. Before when I protected Jelani it made sense because I was his mate and subconsciously I was worried about him. But Jali?

"Well they're obviously hurt and if he came here of all places then he must be in serious trouble. Set and the boys are on their way and we'll figure everything out once they wake up."

"I'm too old to be dealing with this." A disgruntled voice chimed in.

"Matty, you say that about everything." 

"Because it's true Imani."

Imani? Matty? Did I really bring us to where I think I did? What could have possibly been going through my mind? As soon as we were well enough to travel we had to get out of here before anything else happens.

"Should we tend to the other guy? Horus seems like he's healing slowly but..."

"I know. He's barely breathing but anytime we get too close this ominous aura starts to grow around him. It's best to leave him be until Horus wakes up and can tell us what's going on. Now let's leave them and let them rest in peace."

With that final declaration it sounded as if everyone had finally filed out of the room, leaving Jali and I lying on what I assumed to be a bed. After a minute or two of silence I finally managed to open my eyes, thankful that no one had stayed behind.

As the weight of the events came crashing down on me I tried to reign in my emotions. I was overwhelmed by everything and I couldn't help the tears as they fell. What had I gotten myself into? Why couldn't my life just be simple? Find your mate. Mate loves you. You live happily ever after. The end.

The bed shifted behind me and I turned to see Jali's body shifting toward mine. His eyes were still closed but his arm was stretched out to where I had been lying minutes before. I watched his eyebrows furrowed as his fingers spread out and in tapping the area.

"I'm still here." I whispered loud enough for only him to hear me in this house of shifters.

"Ho-Horus." He groaned.

"We're safe." I replied just looking at him. He had been through so much and despite what he had done I felt like he deserved a second chance at life. Even if Jelani came for me I hoped that Jali would be able to escape and start over.

"Where?" He questioned, one eye barely opening to look for me.

"Remember the shifters I kidnapped? We're at their parents house." I laughed.

"You sure it's safe?" He questioned after a short pause.

"I'm sure." I smirked at his look of pure disbelief.

"Kay." He hummed before closing his eye and shifting again with a groan. 

"I'm going to get someone to look you over okay? You're injured." 

"Fine." He grunted before his light snores once again filled the room. Carefully, I inched my way out of the bed as to not disturb him and wake him again. I'm sure he needed the sleep. As I quietly made my way to the door I took stock of my own self, making sure that I was somewhat okay after everything.

There wasn't anything majorly wrong with me, that I could sense. I was the way I was before my father had sent me away. The only difference was what I assumed to be the bond between Jelani and I. It wasn't strong but I could sense it in the back of my mind and deep in my soul. Almost as if it was urging me to go find him but I knew better. Thankfully it hadn't fully formed since I was practically a mortal while I was there. Nothing in me was able to connect with him.