16

"Sorry, I didn't mean to intrude on your 'you' time. I'll go." I hurried to get out. I don't think I was supposed to be interacting with him without Jelani present. 

"That's fine. I'm allowed to talk to others. It's just that no one else really comes to visit me." He responded with a small smirk.

"No offense but aren't you supposed to be chained up or something because you're so dangerous?" I questioned, my curiosity getting the best of me.

"Aren't you supposed to be escorted around by my little brother?" He shot right back, his eyes cutting to the side to finally look at me. My whole body stilled at the intense look he was giving me and I had to remind myself that we were both powerless down here and there was no need to be afraid of a man locked behind bars.

Right?

"Well your little brother is the reason that I'm down here actually." I sighed. My emotions starting to get the best of me.

"Sounds like he messed up." He replied as he sat up from his relaxed position and closed his book. He set it to the side as he turned towards the bars, giving me his full attention. 

"Oh, no. I really didn't mean to interrupt and certainly not about my issues with your brother." I apologized.

"I've read this book dozens of times. I'm sure that I can put a hold on it for a minute or two. Unless you really don't want an ear for all those issues of yours." 

It was tempting to say the least. Having someone else listen to my problems and weigh in would be ideal and since I didn't really have anyone else here to do that Jali would probably be my best bet. But this was his brother I was about to badmouth. Why would he have reason to support me and my best interests?

"I don't know..." I stalled.

"How about you just tell me about yourself and we'll see where that goes. If you've managed to get down here once it's a good chance I've found someone to actually talk to every once in a while." 

It was hard to say no to him. I could only imagine how terrible it must have been to be cut off from everyone for so long. At least the others had each other but he was in his cell by himself. It wouldn't hurt to talk to him for a little bit just for today.

"I guess it couldn't hurt." I replied as I moved closer to where he was seated. Gingerly, I sat down on the damp, hard ground. "It's nice to formally meet you Jali, my name is Horus."

"Nice to meet you Horus. So tell me about you." He flashed a small, genuine smile my way and I couldn't help but to reciprocate it.

What was probably hours felt like nothing as I recounted story after story of my upbringing and my various life choices. It felt weird regaling a stranger with accounts of my youth up until now but there was also a sort of freeing feeling looking back over my life and remembering how I've lived.

"So that's how I ended up here in the first place." I finished my story of all the key factors of me ending up here.

"Kidnapping? Really? You're thousands of years old and you didn't see how terrible that would end up?" He questioned, staring at me in disbelief.

"Well clearly I don't come up with the best ideas." I laughed but I had meant it. I can't say that it was one of my proudest moments. 

"Do you still really hold a grudge against your uncle?" He questioned.

"I don't know. I really don't think I do but at the time, hearing that everything was going his way when I felt that he didn't deserve it and I did put me in a place I rather never go again. Not to mention no one tried to even understand how I was feeling. When I apologized to Set, Declan and Owen I really meant it because no one should have went through what they did."