14

"Very well. What shall we start with? Maybe something easy like, why is a kind type of man like Jali locked up for more than a decade? Or should we go straight to the difficult question? Why the fuck couldn't you wait for your mate? Was it really that difficult that you had to go out and get a rent-a-mate? I mean, I'm definitely no saint but no matter how much I slept around I never took a mate."

Was it that hard to understand why I was enraged right now? Did I expect him to be celibate his entire life? No. Did I expect him to go out and get a mate? Absolutely not! 

"We can start easy since that's a simpler subject to discuss." Jelani sighed. "When we were younger Jali, Asha, and I were quite close. That was until my parents saw something in him that they didn't see in us. They begun the experimentation on him once we got older, trying to force the dark magic of their priests into him. In an effort to create a creature or hybrid of sorts that was strong enough to please them. All of their constant experimentation began to change him. He was no longer the sweet older brother that we once knew.

He became malicious, cruel and cold. Nothing moved him and it made him the perfect creature in my parent's eyes; especially my father. The new Jali broke slaves in no time. Everyone wanted to send their misbehaving slaves to my father and Jali. That was until something in him snapped. 

On average there could be anywhere between one hundred and five hundred slaves being moved about my parent's compound, not to mention all of the employees that helped to train them and overall run the entire program. One day Jali walked into the compound and brutally murdered every single person that was there. One hundred and seventy-six lives, taken."

"Wh-What? Why is he still alive?" I questioned interrupting his story. Men had been sentenced to death for far less.

"His original judgment was death however once it came to light what my parents were doing to him he was sentenced here with me. My parents also had a punishment of their own that they somehow managed to weasel their way out of it."

"Why would anyone do that to their child?" I questioned, thinking back to the cruel people that Jelani.

"We never quite figured that out. As my mother has already told you, she herself has undergone a few transformations as well. That's why I wasn't able to take away that magic that she had. If I had, it would have killed her. The same thing happened with Asha, except she chose the life as well. Jali, almost has two separate identities; there's the Jali that we grew up with and then there's the murderous Jali that would kill anything in his path."

"And you said he's getting better?" I questioned looking up at him in disbelief. Was it that simple for someone like him who had done something so atrocious to get better?

"He is. For the longest he wasn't able to control the murderous rage when it appeared but now he's able to keep it under control for longer periods of time. His main problem is the rest of our family trying to get him to go back to his old life. My father believes that he can now control him but Jali doesn't want to go back to that life."

"I just don't understand how they have allowed him to live even after all of that." As one of the major gods of my Pantheon I have been privileged to sit in on many trials of creatures and beings that have caused mayhem across our realm and while fair our judgments could end up on the cruel side if we saw fit.

"I am not proud to say that our ruling body did not always hold the same morals that our current one does. They were corrupt and viewed him as more of a weapon to keep around just in case rather than a human that has done something so vile. Even many members of the new council see him as a weapon to keep. Not to mention there were many that believed as my father does, that slaves do not count for much in their economy, so it was not that great a loss for them."