15

Confusion.

Pure confusion is all that flowed through my mind.

What was I supposed to say to that? What was I supposed to do? There were many questions floating around in my mind but I couldn't quite put it all together into a coherent thought. I needed time, something I really didn't have at the moment. 

"I think I need some time by myself to figure things out. I know that's not really possible with your family still here but I'll figure something out." I sighed knowing that my options truly were slim. I couldn't go back to my original hiding place because his sister might show up once again. The last thing I needed was her trying to cloud my judgment and give me false hope. 

"I understand." Jelani answered, his tone sullen. His strong features, although beautiful, only depicted sadness as he stared at me. The small beauty at his side didn't seem to agree with him allowing me the time and space I needed.

"But-" Marin spoke up but was immediately cut off by Jelani again, who simply held up his hand to silence Marin.

"He deserves some time to himself. He needs time and space to think." His tone sharp as he addressed Marin. "There is only one place that I can think of where you can go. However, it's not located in the best of environments but if you need solitude it certainly provides that." 

"I thought there wasn't any open rooms left in the house." I accused, narrowing my eyes at him. 

"There isn't. Although, I do have a spare room located in the same area where we keep most of the prisoners in case I need to be closer to them, for whatever reason. It's far enough away that it won't be a safety issue, so no need to worry there. It's fully furnished and even has a mini kitchen attached. Think of it as a small apartment of sorts." He explained. "If you want, you're welcome to stay there for a little bit."

"Jelani, you can't be serious. It would be better if he stayed here." Marin whined, sounding frustrated and displeased with how this was all turning out. Soon their attention turned to me. "We can find another bed or something that way you won't have to sleep with us and we can just leave the room so you have time to think."

"I would prefer to use the room." I replied. "I need complete space and time away from you two to think about things."

Marin's eyes flashed from gray to purple and then back again, a clear sign that their two sides were not in agreement with what was happening. However, this wasn't about them. This was about me and what I needed and for once I was going to take my time to figure that out. Or, if I could I would figure out a way of escape. Maybe putting distance between us would help me find a solution to my problems.

"Alright, I'll show you how to get there." Jelani sighed, clearly he was hoping that I wouldn't choose that option either but it seemed like he was mature enough to realize that they had done me wrong and I needed space. I watched as he reached over to the bedside drawer and pulled out a wooden box, unique designs carved onto each side. 

Once he opened it my curiosity caused me to lean over to sneak a peek inside of the ornate box. There were a few objects in there, some papers and several pieces of golden jewelry all crammed inside. He pulled out a ring and a key on a looped through a braided leather cord and handed it to me.

"This is the only way you're allowed access to that area so make sure you don't lose the ring. The key opens the pathway back to the house." He explained as he walked towards the door. I surmised that I was meant to follow, so follow I did.

I made a mental map as we walked so that I would be able to find my way back, should I ever need to. With all the twists and turns we were taking it seemed that many people weren't supposed to even know about this entrance considering it was hidden inside of what seemed to be an office, maybe his.