Realisation

The players come out the tunnel and the children cheer, that's when I notice. The beautiful blonde I've become so fond of is right in front of me, she's playing, she's a footballer. I sit completely still, shocked by my lack of realisation but also embarrassment that I hadn't realised before. Leah must have thought I am so stupid. I look up in an attempt to compose myself, I'm at work I think, just get through this and it will be okay. Don't panic.

"You alright Lottie" Kerry says, clearly noticing my sudden change in demeanour.

"Yeah, who's that blonde girl over there" I say, trying to not reveal too much.

"That's Leah Williamson, England captain and Arsenal defender. She's one of the best in the world and (she whispers) the one that every lesbian has a crush on".

OH MY GOD. The Leah, my Leah well not my Leah but that Leah is Leah Williamson. I went on a date with her last night, I kissed her last night and now I'm here and she'll see me and she'll think I'm obsessed. Or a stalker. I need to hide.

"Kerry I'm just going to the loo".

I get up to leave, trying to not draw attention to myself. If I can just get out now during the warm up, then she shouldn't see me during the match and then it'll be ok. I walk to the toilet, not paying attention, just being stuck within my own head. I just keep walking, with my head down and trying to not make eye contact with anyone. I'm so close to the loo now, just keep going Lottie.

"You stalking me or something?". I look up, directly into the eyes of that one blonde I didn't want to see.

"Uh hey Leah, I had no idea, like no idea I swear. I wouldn't have gone if I didn't realise. This is a school, trip the one I told you about". I ramble, getting more flustered and panicked as I speak. I look down at the floor. You've definitely blown this one.

Leah laughs, I'm shocked. She reaches out, placing her hand on my chin, forcing me to look up at her. "It's alright, I could use some support". She winks at me, and then walks off.

I stand, alone and shocked in the middle of a football stadium I've never been to before. What the hell just happened?

_______________________________________________________________

After composing myself in the toilet for a little time, i head back to the children and Kerry just in time for the match to start. No one questions where I've been and so I relax back into my seat ready to enjoy the game.

21' mead. We all jump out of our seats and cheer, I notice Leah look up into the crowd and spot me, so I give her an encouraging smile.

35' mead. We cheer again, the children are clearly loving the match.

At half time it's 2-0 to Arsenal, and we all go get some food. I get some chips , they're my favourite.

67' mead. Most of the children's favourite is Beth, so they're very happy to see her three goals.

87' Williamson. The whole place erupts, as Kerry told me Leah doesn't score much as s defender. I stand up and cheer for her. They celebrate, and she walks over to where we are above the pitch. She blows me a kiss, and then gets back to continue the match.

"Why did she just blow you a kiss?" Kerry asks, in a whisper.

"I'm not sure" I reply, which isn't a lie because I am not sure.

"She's been staring at you the whole match, your so oblivious" Kerry laughs.

The match continues and finishes 4-0 to Arsenal. The children are excited and we just about manage to corral them into the back rooms so they can meet some of the player. I hope Leah is one who comes in.