Chapter 21

Through the rustling grass, the chirping of the birds, and the cool trickling water from the stream, a ghostly melody is being hummed as the sound carried through the wind from the silent area around her. Sunako stood in the garden, plucking fresh vegetables from the cabin's garden and putting them in the basket she brought as she hummed an old lullaby that her mother used to sing when she was young.

Her mind has never been so at peace doing this mundane task. In a way, she couldn't help but reminisce about the good times she spent with her mother in her mother's garden. To think a month has already passed since Eren's rescue as well as discovering Historia's true identity. Enhancing her arms with chakra, she lifts the basket with both hands before turning her gaze at the beautiful wisteria tree by the hill a few distances away from the cabin.

Things may haven't been easy for them in the past month, with all the secrecy and knowing that the government is breathing down on their necks, but the squad found little moments of peace between them. She must admit, she enjoys the little respite from the turbulent lives they had been living in.

With her ever-present smile on her face, she turns her attention and walk back towards the cabin with a basket of vegetables on hand to prepare food for the Cadets as soon as she heard Jean's voice, indicating that their back from gathering provisions.

As soon as the petite woman entered the Cabin, Sunako could already hear the yelling in the main area.

"Did you guys wipe the dust and dirt off your shoes before you came in?"

"What? Of course not. Can't you see all the stuff we're carrying?"

"You... Sunako may have been lenient with you but did you seriously think that attitude will satisfy Captain Levi? If I hadn't personally given your sheets hospital corners this morning—"

"Quit nagging! Who are you? My mom?"

"Ara ara, are you all fighting again?" Sunako questioned after suddenly appearing with a basket of vegetables in her hands and her usual smile on her face.

"Sunako!" Eren turn his attention from Jean to the petite, raven-haired woman and approach her, seeing the basket she was carrying with both hands. "Here, let me get that for you."

Sunako thanked him with gratitude as Eren grabbed the basket from her hands and went to the kitchen to place it.

"We're back."

"Ah, welcome back Mikasa, Historia." Sunako greeted as the black-haired teen entered the door with Historia trailing behind, both of them carrying logs of wood, though Mikasa is lifting the axe over her shoulder. "That's a good haul for the day. Does your ribs still hurt?"

"They're fine. My side is getting better thanks to your treatment." Mikasa replied with a small smile on her face.

"That's good."

"Wait, were you just chopping firewood?" Armin approached them, concern written on his face over his childhood female friend.

"I have to stay in shape."

"You got grabbed by a Titan! You should be in bed."

"I try to stop her, but she won't listen. I saw her doing sit-ups earlier." Eren said quietly as Mikasa walk away to store firewood which irked Jean when he said that. "How dare you, you peeping Tom!"

"How does that constitute 'peeping'?"

"Now now, you boys don't need to worry so much. She can't be expected to recover without any physical activity if she just stayed in bed." Sunako said. Patting Eren's shoulder as she went over to the Kitchen. Her fingers worked to clean and prepare the vegetables she had just picked while listening to the constant bickering between the younger squad members.